Absence report - counting n° of days for each sick period to determine Short, mid & Long term sickness days

LokiSonic

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems to determine categories for the sick days at our company.
  • I have a dataset of all employees with a row per day for each employee. To make it easier, I can filter these on workdays only.
  • I then have a column that gives me the type of absence for that day (for instance: Sick day, Leave, Vacation). In total there are 7 different type of absences but i'm only interested in Sick days.
The solution I'm trying to get:
  • I want to be able to categorize the sickness periods to one of 3 category's: Short Term (1-21 consecutive workdays), Mid Term (22 to & 126 consecutive workdays) and Long term (+126 consecutive workdays).
  • So I need a way to count consecutive (work)days when the Type of absence equals Sickness ("Z" in my dataset).
  • Ideally I want to do this in Power Query or Power Pivot. So me or the HR-users can just refresh the file and get the updated report.
My company does not allow me to install the plugin, I will see if I can upload a spreadsheet later tonight.

I hope someone can help me with this, because I just can't get a working solution and I can't find anything on the message board that does the same kind categorization as I want to do.
Big thanks in advance for whomever can help me with this.

Attachments

• Example Sickdays.png
    Example Sickdays.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 25

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi @LokiSonic,

Assuming the source table is 'Name', 'List of Dates' and 'Type' columns, try the following M code,

Power Query:
let
  Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name = "Table1"]}[Content],
    ColName = Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    #"Day Counter" = Table.Combine(
      Table.Group(Source, {ColName{0}, ColName{2}}, 
      {"Count", each let x = Table.RowCount(_) in 
      Table.AddColumn(_, "Consecutive Day Counter", each if [Type] = "Z" then x else null)}, 0)[Count]),
    #"Duration Type" = Table.AddColumn(#"Day Counter", "Duration Type",
    each try let x = {[Consecutive Day Counter] <= 21,[Consecutive Day Counter] >= 22 and [Consecutive Day Counter] <= 126,[Consecutive Day Counter] >= 127},
    Result = {"Short Term Illness","Mid Term Illness","Long Term Illness"} in Result{List.PositionOf(x, true)} otherwise null),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Duration Type",{{ColName{1}, type date}, {"Consecutive Day Counter", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Regards,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back