Accessing sheets in other workbooks

Houdinii

I have created a excel workbook that allows a user to enter information through entry sheets and update to appropriate equipment log sheet. Unfortunately their is over 100 pieces of equipment which I have each piece of equipment on a separate sheet this tends to cause the workbook to be extremely slow when opening, saving or exiting document. Any recommendations on how I should change this structure to better accommodate the many pieces of equipment with several columns of data each.

Ideas I have had would include;

breaking the equipment up into multiple sheets. Which gives me the problem of opening sheets from different workbooks while using all macros and code from main workbook. I need to be able to open individual equipment worksheets for review and possible updates.

Another would be put all on one extremely long spread sheet. with a lot of sorting management. I am not sure I could do the manipulation necessary to accommodate the need. I could use pivot tables to report or review this information, However I need them to be able to review by equipment and also be able to edit as needed.

Please give me some suggestions on which way would be easiest with the maximum results.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
to open xls file from macro
Code:
Sub OpenFile2()
ChDrive "D:"
ChDir "D:\DATAI\test"
filename = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel files (*.xls), *.xls")
If filename <> False Then
     Workbooks.Open (filename)
     MsgBox "File: " & filename & " is open"
Else
    Exit Sub
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
because I don't want the user to have to answer the question of which file to open I modified this a bit, I am currently using;

ChDrive "D:"ChDir "D:\DATAI\test" Workbooks.Open ("D:\DATAI\test\Support Logs.xlsm")
Sheets("CP101").Visible = True
Sheets("CP101").Select
' Protects current sheet
Application.Run "Control_protect_this_sheet"
' Sorts the data on the current sheet
Application.Run "Sort_date_des_recno_des"
' Locate form to top right
Range("A1").Select
' Locate active cell (cursor) to hide under button
Range("A3").Select

</pre>

At this point I am in the workbook "Support Logs.xlsm" with the original workbook in the background. On this workbook I have a button that is macro enabled I have set this macro to look at the original workbook. The job of this macro is to save this workbook if necessary and close it relinquishing power back to the original work book.

Unfortunately when I use the macro it is giving me an error:
"Cannot run the macro "Support Logs.xlsm'!Main Menu'. The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled."

I have checked in the trust center and made sure all macros are enabled and Trust access to the VBA project object model is set on.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

to open xls file from macro
Code:
Sub OpenFile2()
ChDrive "D:"
ChDir "D:\DATAI\test"
filename = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel files (*.xls), *.xls")
If filename <> False Then
     Workbooks.Open (filename)
     MsgBox "File: " & filename & " is open"
Else
    Exit Sub
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back