Activex Controls Changing in Size

mcarter01

I am using the command button, option button and checkbox activex controls in a workbook. I have set the font type and size in the properties, set the format control lock aspect ratio on and object positioning to Don't move or size with cells.

With this, the activex controls will randomly get smaller or bigger each time you click on them for the action to occur. The action in the code occurs fine, but the text becomes unreadable either because it is very small or too large to see in the size of the control space. When I switch to design mode and resize the control the text returns to the defined size, but this is not a clear option for usability. Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanks!

I am having the exact same issue with a combobox and listbox.
What issue? That they are changing size? Are you using a machine via remote access? What version of Excel? What SPs have been applied?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
It's a long standing issue with ActiveX controls on worksheets in Excel. Particularly common if you use Zoom settings other than 100% but that's not the only cause. If you can. use Forms controls instead. If not, have a read of this article. (I think it's outside the paywall)

Upvote 0
This is a long standing issue related to ActiveX controls and changing resolutions while having the workbook open (hence the problems with remote desktop, when connecting to external display and, in my particular case, maximizing virtualized Windows windows).

It is discussed in-depth here:

Command Buttons resizing themselves without changing size of cells around

The fixes proposed include:

1. Group Controls. (This did it for me)
2. Add code to always change font size & button size
3. Download hotfixes

I hope this gives some light to those of you having this same problem...it surely was frustrating!

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same issue with a combobox and listbox.

The problem is that ActiveX buttons have an instability issue that Form buttons do not have. Do the following to fix:

1. Create a form button
2. Move the code from the sheet (i.e., Sheet1 (Example) to a module
3. Assign the macro to the form button

If you changed the color of the ActiveX button and want the new one to match, do the following:

1. Find the hex BackColor property of the ActiveX button
2. Go to https://officetricks.com/convert-excel-vba-color-codes-rgb-hex/ to convert the hex code to RGB
3. Insert a shape
4. Change the shape fill color to match

Thank you,
Ryan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MedDash99

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back