Add a comma after name

shadyshawn

Hi I just joined MREXCEL club after I found most of my excel answers from here when googling, and found folks here are really helpful.

As my first thread and question, I would like to learn how to add a comma after the first name in the cell. I have a list of names in one column as LASTNAME FIRSTNAME. I want to add a comma after the last name, without doing it in a new column. I'm assuming this has to be done thru VB? but I dont know anything about the codes yet. If anyone could help me out I would truly appreciate it!! Also, I want to add a comma after the last name only; so if I have a name that has three parts (e.g Jane Doe Jr.), only one comma is added after "Jane".

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
HotPepper was responding to my observation that not all first or last names have only one part.
The OP has code that does what was originally requested. We're providing options for variations that he might not have thought of.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Yes, OP is original poster.

I have a list of names in one column as LASTNAME FIRSTNAME

Also, I want to add a comma after the last name only; so if I have a name that has three parts (e.g Jane Doe Jr.), only one comma is added after "Jane".

In the second example, although this is not how that generic name is typically used, the op said that Jane was the last name, although my formula does not take name suffixes into account.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back