ithoughtiknewit

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello! :)

I have about 50 sheets that contain a small amount of data. I have a name in A and the data I need in E. For example, "Jane Smith" is in A, and E says she worked virtually that week. Sheet 2 is the following week, and so on. I need to find out how many times Jane worked virtually or in-person. Part of the issue is that whoever made the sheet didn't keep any type of order. Sometimes Jane is the first on the list, sometimes the fourth, and sometimes she appears three times for the same thing (I only care about 1). Lastly, sometimes she has a "FO" or some other indicator after her name that doesn't matter. I need this for Jane and a few others.

My hope was to run something like =COUNTIFS(Sheet2!A4,"John Baker",Sheet2!E4,"In-Person") but I am at a loss as to repeat it 50 times and the fact it has a range because the name can move. I also need it to "contain" the name because of other characters.

Thanks as always!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 8.15.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 8.15.13 AM.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 9

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hello - you may want to try this formula

On a main header sheet, set yourself a heading called Reference Sheets then undeneath this title, list the following (you can add lots more if you so wish)

Say this range was E2:E4
Sheet 2
Sheet 3
Sheet 4

On each of the lookup sheets, your names are say in column A and deployment type in column D, so within the INDIRECT formula on the summary page, you can enter from A2:A100 & E2:E100 (this range can be expanded more if needbe).

Main Header Sheet

Name (Just type this In Cell A1)John Baker (Drop Down Data Validation) Cell Reference Sheets
Deployment Type (Just type this In Cell A2)In-Person (Drop Down Data Validation)Sheet2
Count Of Records (Just type this in Cell A3)2 (See Formula Below)Sheet3
Sheet4

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$E$2:$E$4&"'!$A$2:$A$100"),B1,INDIRECT("'"&$E$2:$E$4&"'!$E$2:$E$100"),B2))

As mentioned, once you keep adding more sheets, as long as it is structured the same per individual worksheet an you list these additional sheets to the reference sheets list which is then picked up in your range, hopefully this formula is what you need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back