Add apostrophe to beginning of long list of numbers?

Bret1

Board Regular
I have a long column of numbers ranging from about 10 to 1000. I need to apply an apostrophe to the beginning of each one (to make them text) . Is there a simple way to do this using the Find/Replace? Or other method? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I agree with Sandy as to the method to use; however, I am wondering why you think you need to do this in the first place?

Upvote 0
Format the column as Text (which will left-justify the numbers but not convert them to text), then Data > Text to Columns > Finish.

Upvote 0
I agree with Sandy as to the method to use; however, I am wondering why you think you need to do this in the first place?
I have a a lot of numerical data I'm charting, with a column of "reference" numbers down the middle (I know the reference numbers are usually on the side of the data, but the reference numbers changed, so now I basically have 2 columns of reference numbers). I need to make all the "reference" numbers text, so they won't be included in the charts.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea of just making the whole column "text" format, but unfortunately, that didn't work. I will need to physically add the apostrophe to the beginning of each number down the column. I'm hoping there is a way I can Find/Replace only (all) numbers with "1XX" (3 digits total) and replace with "'1XX" (same 3 digits with the apostrophe at beginning). Or some way to select all in the column, and just add an apostrophe to the beginning of each cell..... Maybe a Macro?

Upvote 0
Format the column as Text (which will left-justify the numbers but not convert them to text), then Data > Text to Columns > Finish.
Good point, but I had to proceed to the 3rd dialog page for Text To Column and deliberately specify the column as Text before the ISNUMBER function would report FALSE for the cells.

Upvote 0
if numbers are in column A then in column B ="'"&A1
copy column B then paste values in column A and delete column B

or as Rick mentioned
text.png

so in this case =ISTEXT(O3) = TRUE

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good point, but I had to proceed to the 3rd dialog page for Text To Column and deliberately specify the column as Text before the ISNUMBER function would report FALSE for the cells.
I'm sorry, but I don't even understand this... Could you break it down some more?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back