Add-ins Disabled, Still Need to Run Macros

pleeseemailme

Board Regular
Howdy,
We have some terrible accounting software that can spit out data to an Excel file. I've been writing some macros to interact with this data and turn it into something useful. I've been testing it for the past few months now and yesterday I tried it out on another user's machine. I placed the macros in his personal macro workbook. I was shocked to see that the keyboard command to run the macro didn't fire.

After some quick investigation it appears that when the software launches Excel and exports the data to a new workbook, it somehow disables add-ins from loading. I tested this several ways, including making a separate add-in for the user. Nothing worked. It's always worked on my machine to test the macros, because I always already had Excel running - therefore my personal macro workbook was already loaded and could run the macros.

This is very disappointing after so much work on improving these processes. My question is: Is there some magic trick to use to still run macros even when the PMW and other Excel add-ins are disabled? I can't ask all these users to remember to open Excel before exporting the accounting data. What do you think?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi there.

I don't know if this will work for you, but is a suggestion.
What I do at work is have a hidden macros workbook (.xlsm) in a shared location and add the Macros to people's ribbon. Once clicked it opens the hidden macro workbook and runs the macro on the active worksheet.
As this is using a seperate workbook, opposed to an "add-in" it may work...

Regards.

Upvote 0
Howdy,
That seems like a very viable solution. May I ask how you added a link to the workbook in your ribbon?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back