AdvancedFilter in VBA, Help!

MikeMcCollister

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to do some advanced filtering so that I can sum some columns. My test code does not work. First when I try to set the criteria cell VBA just errors out. If I skip that and try to Call rangeTable.AdvancedFilter it does nothing.

VBA Code:
Function FilterTest(theMonth As String, category As String) As Variant
    Dim rangeTable As Range
    Dim rangeCriteria As Range
    Dim rangeFiltered As Range

With Application.ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
        Set rangeTable = .Range("$A$5:$L$1001")
        Set rangeCriteria = .Range("$A$3:$L$4")
    End With

' set category to filter on
    ' !!! does not work
    rangeCriteria(2, 4) = category

' set month to filter on
    ' !!! add code here

' does nothing
    Call rangeTable.AdvancedFilter(xlFilterInPlace, rangeCriteria)

' FilterTest = columnE - columnG + columnH

' clear AdvancedFilter
    ' !!! add code here

FilterTest = 1.23
End Function

I think that I am missing something fundamental. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Not so fast. You are right about this not being doable with a normal UDF, but there are abnormal UDFs.
I'm curious about your criteria range. It looks like you have a column (criteria) for each column in your data range and the function only controls one of those criteria.

In words, what are you trying to do. Show only those records that match the category passed as an argument, or do the other columns have other restrictions that you express in cells A4:L4?

Upvote 0
Not so fast. You are right about this not being doable with a normal UDF, but there are abnormal UDFs.
I'm curious about your criteria range. It looks like you have a column (criteria) for each column in your data range and the function only controls one of those criteria.

In words, what are you trying to do. Show only those records that match the category passed as an argument, or do the other columns have other restrictions that you express in cells A4:L4?

I don't want to show only those records, I want to filter then do some math and then unfilter. For example, I want to know the total for a category that has "B: Gas", for a given month, where the total is "detail - debit + credit".

1589478096539.png

I can do this now using sumif and sumfis but I'm investigating on whether I can use filtering to make this faster.

Regards,

Mike

Upvote 0
I think I missed something when I spoke earlier
Hiding rows triggers a calculation and my workaround leads to a calculation loop.

But to address your last point, making cells visible or un takes a relatively large amount of time. If you have a solution that is based on SumIfs, that is probably faster than anything involving Advanced Filter.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I figured that but I wanted to make sure. I'm just looking at alternative way to do things these days.

Regards,

Mike

Upvote 0
IF you like AdavancedFiler, have you looked at the database functions DCOUNT, DMAX, etc. They are a bit clunky, but if you understand criteria ranges, they can be useful.

Upvote 0
IF you like AdavancedFiler, have you looked at the database functions DCOUNT, DMAX, etc. They are a bit clunky, but if you understand criteria ranges, they can be useful.

Thanks.

DSUM looks like it has potential but within a function I would have to write to a sheet to get the criteria. So, sumif and sumifs is the way to go for me right now.

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omer Lutfu Neziroglu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back