Alt + Enter

Samsmummy

Hi, I am trying to insert multiple rows into an Excel cell. I don't want to always rely on 'Alignment', 'Wrap text', and use 'alt + enter' (and have done so successfully since Excel 95 - at work). However, I haven't been able to use alt+enter for some time now on my home computer. I have had 2 computers since this problem occurred - my first ran XP with Excel 2003, and now having recently upgraded computers and software, the problem is still occurring. I am now running Office Ultimate - Excel 2007, with Windows XP. When I type into a cell, and hold Alt Enter, I get no response from my computer at all. Please help!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi, and welcome to the Board!

I just tried it on my machine (Office 2007, Vista Business) and it's fine. Nothing apparently happened but when I expanded the cell the line break was in the correct place.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. When I say nothing happens, that's exactly what I mean though! There is no character space, no enter, and when I expand my cell, there is no change in the cell contents. It's as if I haven't keyed anything in. Both keys are operational (they just don't seem to work in conjunction with each other).

Upvote 0
Weird. I don't know if it will make any difference but sometimes the two Alt buttons work differently. I used the left one.

When I tried it out, it really looked like nothing was working -- but it did once I had finished editing. I'll see if there are any others clues out there.

EDIT: Just tried on a different machine; Office 2007 on Win XP. It worked too. The only difference was that I got a wacky symbol at editing time -- disappeared when I left the cell.

Denis

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if somewhere, my character map has been affected. I'm not sure if this would be an issue, but it feels more like a system problem than a specific Excel problem (but I've only noticed it in Excel). Any ideas???

Upvote 0
Maybe try opening Excel in safe mode and see if alt-enter works?

To do this, press window+R or got to run on the start menu and type in:

excel.exe /safe

And then see if you can use alt-enter, its worth a shot at seeing if maybe something is overriding it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice, but still no luck. I've tried both alt keys, and also run Excel in safe mode, but no luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back