Ambitious Student Report Creator Project

johnodocs

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please be nice and thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply. I am using Excel 2016 and am a little bit out of my comfort zone now so am looking for a general steer.

I work in a school with a rather antiquated and labour intensive way of producing student reports and am trying to bring them into the 21 century.

The columns I have are:

• the student’s name
  • group
  • teacher name

I want to use Excel VBA to create folders for each teacher, another folder for the group and within the teacher’s name each group and a M$ Word document file for each student with the file being the student’s name, and within the file the student’s name and teacher name to appear in a template file I have.

I have had some success by using various code I have cut and paste and endless trial and error but now need some expert eyes…

I hope I have explained myself well enough.

John

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
if you recorded the pertinent points about each student (subjects and grades) and teacher in excel, then use word mailmerge to produce individualised reports. Look at what you currently produce, what you'd like to produce and that will give you the basis of what you need to be able to automate.

Don't forget you may have a data protection issue if you store students personal details in the file, like ages and addresses

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

The mail merge was my first thought but this wouldn't give me the file name as the student name e.g. Joe Bloggs.doc, which is really important as I have 1,000+ I need to something more time effective. Using Kutools the best I could get was page1.doc, page2.doc, etc but this isn't good enough for me.

RE data protection, the only thing that is stored is the student name and no other personal information.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back