API, VBA or whatever is best

islic1411

Greetings,

I am looking for some excel help with connecting, filtering and using a website API. I have an example of what I am doing by hand and I am looking to automate the process as much as I can.
Right now I have a row with airport codes along the top, I then have a row going down column B with my “local” airport codes. I then go to various websites and look up the cost for flying to the different airports. I have found that many times if I am willing to drive an hour or two I can sometimes save several hundred dollars.
Then below that first table I do the same basic thing with driving. I list how far it is to the “local” airport. I have a column for estimation of gas, travel time and such.
I would like to just enter the airports I am going to and then click a button to get my results. I don’t really care too much what site the data comes from as I only use this as a guestimation and I will hand check but it would be nice if I could feed it a list of sites to check.
I tried with the Hotwire API and I got data back but it was a large data dump and it wasn’t filtered down like I thought it would be.
I am not sold on this being excel but that is the best tool I have found so far. If this could be done easier with a java script or something then I am game.
Is anyone willing to share their powerful wisdom and help me do a walk through? I will need very clear directions and help as I have no programming, scripting or advanced excel experience.

I do not see a place to upload an example but I will be happy to share one via email or something...

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back