Apply Conditional Formatting to Merged Cells ONLY

hal-ber

Hi,

I have a range where some cells are merged and some are not. I want to apply to such range a conditional formatting that will only show on merged cells.
I can set two rules with the rule number one having the option "stop if true" checked but I am in trouble in finding an excel function that returns true if a cell is merged (what in VBA would be range.mergecells but without using VBA).

Anyone can help? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Really, what does this mean:

"what in VBA would be range.mergecells but without using VBA"

Why are you usng merged cells and why do you want to CF them?

There is no built-in worksheet function that identifies a merged cell.

You *could* use Find to locate merged cells using the Format button on the Find dialog box and selecting merged, but that only finds the cells manually; you'd still need to apply conditional formatting. But it's doable without VBA if that is what you are asking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Tom, thanks for your initial answer, I'll try to explain better:

I am using Office 2007 Pro+ and conditional formatting using volatile UDF is giving me a lot of issues (randomly appearing black areas, borders missing and even seldom crashes). Everything works just fine when I remove the UDF from any CF rule and use only Excel built-in functions.

The whole Excel application I designed is making heavy use of merged cells and there is no way I can change this (I worked around all the issues with merged cells, I am just stuck on this now) and, most important, there is no way I can achieve the same without merged cells.

Basically I want to see highlighted duplicate values in real time as I type but on "results" only (that are on merged cells). Cells are merged and unmerged dinamically by the underlying VBA code, so I could use another way of tagging all the cells that become part of a merged range (maybe a custom format that I can later check using the "Cell" function?).

I was just wondering if there is a smarter way. Let's put it this way:
Putting forehead that CF using UDF gives issues (at least if in the "Applies to" range there are one or more merged cells), what is the smarter way to tag a group of cells that I do not want the formatting to be applied to? It has to be cosmetic (e.g. font size, cell format, ismerged) not based on value and color because they change too. The only thing that is 100% sure is that if and only if the cell is merged the CF must apply!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back