Apply VBA code to multiple columns as oppose to just one.

KP_SoCal

Board Regular
The code below restricts users from inputting anything other than an uppercase "X" in a cell within column N. If the user types a lowercase "x", it would automatically convert it to uppercase. If any other value is entered other than "X", a message box will fire.

The code is specific to column N (column 13). However, I would like to apply this to multiple columns, such as columns 13,14,17,20.

Any suggestions on how I would rewrite this code? Thanks! :)

Code:
    If Target.Column = 13 And Target.Value <> "X" And Target.Value <> "x" And Target.Value <> "" Then
        Target.ClearContents
        Cells(Target.Row, IIf(Target.Column = 13, 13, 13)).Select
        MsgBox "Value" & Chr$(34) & "X" & Chr$(34) & " is the only value allowed.", _
        vbInformation + vbOKOnly
    ElseIf Target.Column = 13 And Target.Value = "x" Then
        Target = UCase(Target)
    End If

Why are you messing around with all this code, why dont you just apply data validation to the cells you want to control, and reject anything that isnt X in those cells.

Thats what its designed for, input control. You seem to be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Why are you messing around with all this code, why dont you just apply data validation to the cells you want to control, and reject anything that isnt X in those cells.

Thats what its designed for, input control. You seem to be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
I know it appears that way, but Data Validation is not the way I want to go for too many reasons to mention.

Upvote 0
I'm going to start a new post since my current post has deviated so far from my original question. This thread can be closed.

Upvote 0
Have you tried disabling the error handler?

Target = "X" looks like a problem to me ... but who knows?

Gary

Upvote 0
Nevermind, no need to repost. I figured it out.

This new code fires on an On Workeet_Change event in case anyone is curious. This code gives me much more flexibility than Microsoft's built in Data Validation tool. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm signing off... :)

Application.EnableEvents = False
If (Target.Column = 13 Or Target.Column = 14) And (Target.Row > 5) And UCase(Target.Value) <> "X" And Target.Value <> "" Then
Target.ClearContents
Target.Select
MsgBox "To restrict WKST query to vehicles with a specific option (e.g. Sunroof), " & _
"input the letter " & Chr$(34) & "X" & Chr$(34) & " in the appropriate cell row.", _
vbInformation + vbOKOnly
ElseIf (Target.Column = 13 Or Target.Column = 14) And (Target.Row > 5 ) And Target.Value = "x" Then
Target = UCase(Target)
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My mistake, change:

Code:
And (Target.Row > 5 Or Target.Row < 51)

to

Code:
And (Target.Row > 5 AND Target.Row < 51)

Notice the OR gate becomes an AND gate.

Cheers

Dan

Upvote 0
I know, I caught it too and was kicking myself that I missed it. :LOL:

No worries though. Thanks for all your feedback. I couldn't have gotten to the point I did without your input. :biggrin:

Upvote 0
No worries, happy to help. No matter which method you ended up going with, there has been some learning happening here :).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back