ARE VALUES WITHIN 1/10TH OF EACH OTHER? How to?

Sphinx404

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
A2 = 0.9464
B2 = 0.9

OR

A2 = 0.14785
B2 = 0.1

How does one write a VBA code stating that if A2 is within .1 of B2, then TRUE, else FALSE?

Thanks folks!

Code:
=AND(A2<=B2+0.1,A2>=B2-0.1)

The above code continues to give me :#VALUE! and it's irritating me to no end. I've cleaned, trimmed,..... etc... AHHHH!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
That is not VBA code, it is an Excel formula and there is an easier way.

Code:
Sub test()
MsgBox Abs(Range("B2") - Range("A2")) <= 0.1
End Sub

This would be the equivalent worksheet formula:
=ABS(A2-B2)<=0.1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Sphinxs404,
give this a try

Code:
IF(ABS(A2-B2) <= B2*0.1, TRUE, FALSE) <b2*0.1,true,false)<b2*0.1,true,false)
hope this helps</b2*0.1,true,false)<b2*0.1,true,false)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've tried all the suggestions in this thread. All I ever get returned is: #VALUE !

=IF(ABS(A2-B2) <= B2*0.1, TRUE, FALSE) - returns #VALUE !
=ABS(A2-B2)<=0.1 - returns #VALUE !

ACTUAL CODE:

Code:
Code:
Sub weights()

Dim myWorksheet As Worksheet
Dim myLastRow As Long
Dim mycell As Range
Dim mycell2 As Range

Set myWorksheet = Worksheets("HazShipper")
myLastRow = myWorksheet.Cells(myWorksheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row

For i = 2 To myLastRow

Set mycell = myWorksheet.Range("AK" & i)
Set mycell2 = myWorksheet.Range("AD" & i)

If mycell.Value = "L" And mycell2.Value <> "UN3363" Then
      mycell.Offset(, 3).Formula = "=IF(ABS(AJ2-AL2) <= AL2*0.1, TRUE, FALSE) " [COLOR=#008000]'I don't see a mathematical error here[/COLOR]
  Else
      mycell.Offset(, 3).Formula = "=IF([B][COLOR=#ff0000]AL2=AJ2[/COLOR][/B],TRUE,FALSE)"
  End If

Next

End Sub

Also, this is a bone head mistake on my part, but the highlighted portion in red.... I need it to change per the row number I am inserting the formula on... it just continually comes up comparing the same 2 cells over and over... do I have to create variables for these cells as well?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've tried all the suggestions in this thread. All I ever get returned is: #VALUE !

=IF(ABS(A2-B2) <= B2*0.1, TRUE, FALSE) - returns #VALUE !
=ABS(A2-B2)<=0.1 - returns #VALUE !
That usually means that you do not have numeric values in the cells you are comparing.
Are you sure that you are referencing the correct cells and do not have text in one or both?

If you have the values that you show up in your original post, and manually enter these formulas in any cell, does it work?
If so, then that confirms that the issue is not with the formula.

Upvote 0
That usually means that you do not have numeric values in the cells you are comparing.
Are you sure that you are referencing the correct cells and do not have text in one or both?

If you have the values that you show up in your original post, and manually enter these formulas in any cell, does it work?
If so, then that confirms that the issue is not with the formula.

@Joe4

Hmmm... the simple answer is Yes... there is text. I used IFERROR in an earlier formula in "AJ" that will return "No Value".

Forgive my ignorance, but the text is in 238 cells within a column that has 20K rows of numerical data. Do the 238 rows of text throw the formula off entirely? I would figure that it would just return an error on these specifically.

You can view the data here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SbSFjReI08O4WMAzpgEBPFexsOfF_wE4

I've selected both columns "AJ" & "AL" and made sure that they are numerical, not set as TEXT or GENERAL.... not that I think it matters... but with my ignorance on these types of specifics... maybe it does.

The formula for "AL" is: Range("AL2").Formula = "=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(U2,DGbyFLT!$A$2:$BA$" & myLastRow & ",53,0),""No Value"")"

Upvote 0
The #VALUE message is actually an error message.
If you might have text (like "No Value") in the cells you are using that function on, you will get those errors message.
So, you will need to determine how you want to handle those error situations. You could wrap the formulas Rick and Scott provided in an IFERROR, like you did for the VLOOKUP, if you like.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your patience @Joe4

I'll get to work on trying to fix this and let you know how it turns out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back