Array to return multiple values against a list of 2000+ items

jsbaker88

Hi

I have been struggling with this one and have been trying to use and array. My data is arranged as per the below:

Tab 1
table headers row 3, table data row 4

ID (Column D) Alpha (Column E)
ID123 XYZ
ID146 ABC
ID123 XYZ

This continues for around 50,000 rows. I expect to see each value in column D atleast twice but potentially 10 times.

Tab 2
table headers row 1, table data row 2

ID Alpha 1 Alpha 2 Alpha 3
ID123
ID146
ID145

The IDs in column A are the unique values from the ID column in tab 1. I'd like to enter a formula in alpha 1 (column B) to return the Alpha from Tab 1 for the first time it finds value ID123. I then expect Alpha 2 to be populated with the second alpha value for the second instance of ID123

I'm not sure if this is even possible (ex VBA) with the structure of my workbook. If anyone has any tips it'll be greatly appreciated

Thanks
James

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I think I see what you are trying to do which I believe is to make a unique list in Tab2 in column A and across row 1

So assuming you already have a unique list from column A Tab1 in column A Tab2 then

a) Made a unique list from Tab1 column E into say column F,
b) copy that to Tab2 with a transpose paste so now you have a unique column heading where Alpha 1 Alpha 2 etc was then (you can delete the temporary column f in Tab1 now)
c) in Tab2 B2 copy and paste this formula below and drag that over the range.

=IFERROR(IF(INDEX('Tab1'!$B$4:$B$50000,MATCH(1,INDEX(('Tab1'!$A$4:$A$50000=$A2)*('Tab1'!$B$4:$B$50000=B$1),),0))<>"",INDEX('Tab1'!$B$4:$B$50000,MATCH(1,INDEX(('Tab1'!$A$4:$A$50000=$A2)*('Tab1'!$B$4:$B$50000=B$1),),0))),"")

remember to change the 50000 figure in the formula above to the actual row depth.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
addman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back