Y
Total
$625
Remaining
$205

<tbody>
</tbody>

Columns A,B and C never change

My dilemma is making row 10 auto calculate and populate what is still due each month.

I simply mark each debt with a Y to indicate "Yes it has been paid". A blank cell indicates it has NOT been paid.

Currently I just add it up manually after each payment is made. I would like it to figure out, and update, the amount remaining as I make payments. How to make it calculate automatically has baffled me to date.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Yes the "" is as you say.

Similar to the comments from kweaver, exactly what you want could be clearer.
And depending on how much data you have, maybe there is a better way to set up the data - swap the rows & columns.

regards

Upvote 0
Thank you Twollaston. My result was a zero

you have to add your ranges for the data you are using where it says B:B and D:D and the formula will work

specifically this
=SUMIF(D$2:D9,"",$B$2:$B9)
you're going to have to update it everytime you have more lines of data
but if you move your remaining amount lines to the top, then you can make it so it will get the right amount no matter how many rows you add, and you won't have to keep redoing the formula ranges

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The difference is that Fazza is treating every month's payment against the $780 total. I'm treating the months as paying off the $780.

Here's mine at the top and Fazza's at the bottom:

DebtPaymentDueJunJulAugSepOct
Loan$751stY
CC1$254thY
CC2$2510thY
CC3$3015th Y
Internet$7520th Y
Cell$10021stY
Ins$10024th Y
Car$35028thY
Total$780Remaining$205$175$100$100$0
Loan$751stY
CC1$254thY
CC2$2510thY
CC3$3015th Y
Internet$7520th Y
Cell$10021stYY
Ins$10024th Y Y
Car$35028thY Y
Total$780Remaining$205$550$705$780$330

<colgroup><col span="8"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thanks again kweaver. As FAZZA stated, I certainly could have been more clear with my question. I now understand what and how you were calculating it. I really do appreciate yours and everyone else's time and help! This is an amazing forum!

Upvote 0
The difference is that Fazza is treating every month's payment against the $780 total. I'm treating the months as paying off the $780.

Here's mine at the top and Fazza's at the bottom:

Loan$751stY
CC1$254thY
CC2$2510thY
CC3$3015thY
Internet$7520thY
Cell$10021stY
Ins$10024thY
Car$35028thY
Total$780Remaining$205$175$100$100$0
Loan$751stY
CC1$254thY
CC2$2510thY
CC3$3015thY
Internet$7520thY
Cell$10021stYY
Ins$10024thYY
Car$35028thYY
Total$780Remaining$205$550$705$780$330

<tbody>
</tbody>

Yeah it's hard to tell what happens to the unpaid stuff, should it roll over, or will it always be paid before the next month starts?

I'm guessing these are monthly expenses that pop up in full every month, and likely all should be paid before the next month is calculated

Upvote 0
I think the reason it threw me off was that I never have a remaining balance at the end of the month and I didn't think of that perspective. However, this is indeed good information if I ever find myself in that situation. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
The debts don't change often but they do change. Putting the row at the top to avoid the editing it is genius. I would have never thought of that or realized the value of that simple mod. That is why I ask the experts! Thanks once again!

Upvote 0
you have to add your ranges for the data you are using where it says B:B and D:D and the formula will work

specifically this
=SUMIF(D$2:D9,"",$B$2:$B9)
you're going to have to update it everytime you have more lines of data
but if you move your remaining amount lines to the top, then you can make it so it will get the right amount no matter how many rows you add, and you won't have to keep redoing the formula ranges

The debts don't change often but they do change. Putting the row at the top to avoid editing it is genius. I would have never thought of that or realized the value of that simple mod. That is why I ask the experts! Thanks once again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back