Auto-programming lunch breaks into a daily schedule

christag

I have a schedule for employees that is set up like a Gantt chart, where the time that the are scheduled to work is highlighted across the row. I am looking for a way to automatically populate things like lunch breaks and manager on duty shifts.

My co-worker has used a schedule in the past that was set up like this. He was able to highlight the cells that corresponded to when someone should take a lunch break, then click a cell outside of the chart and it would automatically enter a value into the selected cells. In this case he would hit the "lunch button" and then "lunch" would be auto filled into the cells he had selected. This is the first part of the problem I'm trying to solve.

Second, once everyone has had their "lunch" or "MOD" entered in, have it set-up somehow to have excel evaluate each column (representing time) to make sure that there are only ever X number of people from each department at lunch at a certain time. So if X were 2 and 3 people were scheduled for lunch, an error message would appear.

I hope this makes sense....I've been tasked with trying to replicate an old scheduling system he was using at a different company and doing my best to explain my interpretation of what he's describing. :)

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronnyf85

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back