Automate hyperlinks

dhemlinger

I would like to create a hyperlink to pdf files in a folder based on the matching name in a cell of a excel spreadsheet.

I have pdf files that have a document name: helpme1.pdf, helpme2.pdf, helpme3.pdf, for example, in the same folder as the spreadsheet.

The names are in a cell, lets say Column I, in an excel spreadsheet. I would like to automatically go through the column and create hyperlinks in column H to the pdf file when it finds a match.

The last thing is that if the files are moved to another server, everything still works.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Welcome to the board.

What do you finds a match? Do you mean if the file exists in the directory?

What excel version are you using?

EDIT: Crafty edit :biggrin: I don't think that bit is do-able. Still let me know your version cos it'll help me decide what method to use. Also, knowing your directory path could help ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I am using Excel 2003.

The files names are in spreadsheet called report.xls and is on in my C drive in a folder called report. They do not have the pdf added to the name, but I thought I could concatenante that in a column easily.

The actual pdf files are in the report folder also. What happens is a program extracts the reports names. Another person saves the reports as pdf files. We need to have a hyperlink created in the excel file to the reports automatically. There are hundreds of these.

When I am finished I need to copy the excel file and pdf's to the network drive N.

Upvote 0
Try this:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> MakeHyperLinks()<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strLookinPath <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strLinkPath<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> lngFilNum <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rngFilName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strFilName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'// change paths to suit //</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'// strLookinPath should refer to the directory that the files are stored in //</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'// strLinkPath should refer to the directory that you are going to move the files to //</SPAN><br><br>strLookinPath = "C:\Reports\"<br>strLinkPath = "H:\Reports\"<br><br>Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Application.FileSearch<br>    .NewSearch<br>    .LookIn = strLookinPath<br>    .SearchSubFolders = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    .FileType = msoFileTypePhotoDrawFiles<br>    .Execute<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> lngFilNum = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> .FoundFiles.Count<br>        strFilName = Mid(.FoundFiles(lngFilNum), InStrRev(.FoundFiles(lngFilNum), "\") + 1)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rngFilName = Columns("I").Find(strFilName)<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> rngFilName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> rngFilName.Offset(, -1)<br>                    .Hyperlinks.Add anchor:=Range(.Address), Address:=strLinkPath & rngFilName.Value<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> lngFilNum<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Jon,

Thank you. They are creating the PDF's and I will be able to try it very soon.

I have one other question. Can I use a button to go through the directory on click. I am guessing I could, but my coding in Excel is very limited.

Again thanks, I will post to let you know it goes.

Debbie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back