Automation Error 430 from "New ADODB.Recordset"

PaulZak

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have an Excel front-end app and my latest release is causing an error for a remote user. I do NOT experience this error on my system. We're both running Excel 2007. (My OS is Win7, he's on Vista). Below is the code that errors for him.

This code existed and ran fine for him in the prior version. In latest version, the only difference is that I've added similar code in another procedure in the file. But code is run manually, by user, so it's not even used when this error appears.

=====================================
Dim rsdata As ADODB.Recordset
Dim szSQL As String

Set rsdata = New ADODB.Recordset
'++++ THE SET LINE ERRORS! ++++

szSQL = "SELECT * FROM tbl_Version"
rsdata.Open szSQL, gMDBconnect_LOCAL, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
rsdata.Close
Set rsdata = Nothing

ERROR: 430: "Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface"

After 0I had user add to his file Library Reference ""Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library" he said his file ran fine. I do NOT need this reference in my file to run the app. I then officially delivered a new file from my system to him with this new reference added. (I simply re-did that change to my file). But he said my file won't run for him again. He also said all of the other references the file currently uses are active and found on his system. (We did not go through each Ref Library and compare file names.)

I've just read (http://www.makebarcode.com/info/appnote/app_017.html) that "When the software references one version of MDAC but a different (usually older) version is installed, Error 430 is the result." But I know from experiences often the same error number can have multiple causes. This article says to run a Microsoft SP to update the MDAC but my user's don't have rights to do any updates on their computers so that's not really an option.

If the explanation above is correct, maybe a recent SP I've installed on my PC made my MDAC more current than the user's PC and thus the file I provided has a newer MDAC library reference. So, when the user added a new reference while we were troubleshooting, it wasn't that the new ref library was actually needed but rather that this action re-set his MDAC component files/connections back to match his MDAC files. This then made his app file run successfully. If this is correct, maybe to fix this problem (until their system can be updated with a SP), the user needs to remove and re-select any current reference in the file while it's open on-site to point to his older MDAC components and then save the file.

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this error?
And does the above theory make sense?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back