Average, Excluding Zeros, BUT it's not a Range, but selection of Cells. What's the formula? I get an Error

stlchiefs

Please help. I've tried using the following formula options, but keep getting an error due to "too many arguments". All my searches turn up formulas for averaging a range of cells where's I'm using a selection of cells not in a range that I can set apart with a colon. Please help. Thanks in advance as I know the excel gurus here will have a solution! See below for what I've tried: Old School: =SUM(L77,L83,L89,L95,L101,L107)/COUNTIF(L77,L83,L89,L95,L101,L107,"<>0"); Average Formula: =AVERAGEIF(L77,L83,L89,L95,L101,L107,"<>0").

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
That didn't work still. I'm thinking the issue is what JonMo1 hit on earlier and that's wih some of the listed cells having the #DIV/0 error in them due to there not being any data for those years. If I take those years and just change them to zero I get a response of "True" in the cell with Aladin's formula. Obviously, "True" is not the response I want, but something is working. If I take JonMo's other idea and set up a set of 5 consecutive cells (outside of my table) that carry over the 5 annual averages and then use the original =AVERAGEIF(U72:U76,"<>0") formula the formula works IF I manually change any #DIV/0 errors to 0. So I guess the question is then how to get something besides for #DIV/0 error to appear in each of the 5 annual avg cells if there's no data for that year. The current formula I use is =AVERAGEIF(L72:L76,">0").

Upvote 0
I don't know the denominator in advance therefore I can't put it in a set formula as a numeric value (i.e. "5" for the number of years). On the other hand, because I can create a formula that will ignore zeros it's possible for the formula itself to figure out the denominator.
I have to disagree, because you said..

If the denominator of each average is different, then the average of those averages is NOT accurate.
See below.

Sheet1

ABCD
8Averge A1:A2Average A3:A5Average of AveragesOverall Average

<colgroup><col style="width: 30px; font-weight: bold;"><col style="width: 145px;"><col style="width: 145px;"><col style="width: 145px;"><col style="width: 145px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
A9=AVERAGE(A1:A2)
B9=AVERAGE(A3:A5)
C9=AVERAGE(A9:B9)
D9=AVERAGE(A1:A5)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Ah, I see what you're saying now JonMo regarding an overall avg over the 5 years vs the avg of the averages. So, back to trying to get an overall average over the 5 years using no consecutive cells and excluding any cells with zero? That would be getting the avg of cells L72:L76, L78:L82, L84:88, L90:94, L96:100, L102:L106. The B column for those same ranges contains text (no numbers) if that helps and would only be filled if there was not a zero in the L column.

Upvote 0
That didn't work still. I'm thinking the issue is what JonMo1 hit on earlier and that's wih some of the listed cells having the #DIV/0 error in them due to there not being any data for those years. If I take those years and just change them to zero I get a response of "True" in the cell with Aladin's formula. Obviously, "True" is not the response I want, but something is working. If I take JonMo's other idea and set up a set of 5 consecutive cells (outside of my table) that carry over the 5 annual averages and then use the original =AVERAGEIF(U72:U76,"<>0") formula the formula works IF I manually change any #DIV/0 errors to 0. So I guess the question is then how to get something besides for #DIV/0 error to appear in each of the 5 annual avg cells if there's no data for that year. The current formula I use is =AVERAGEIF(L72:L76,">0").

Given every 6th value, that is, L83,L89,L95,L101, and L107 and #DIV/0! errors...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW(L83:L107)-ROW(L83),6)=0,IF(ISNUMBER(1/L83:L107),L83:L107)))

Reactions: shg
Upvote 0
That would be getting the avg of cells L72:L76, L78:L82, L84:88, L90:94, L96:100, L102:L106. The B column for those same ranges contains text (no numbers) if that helps and would only be filled if there was not a zero in the L column.
What about the individual averages, L77 L83 L89 etc that you were originally trying to average..
Do those cells have text in column B?
If NO, then you could do
=AVERAGEIFS(L72:L106,B72:B106,"?*",L72:L106,"<>0")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soumyahalder4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back