AVERAGE/MAX/MIN/MEDIAN meet 3 Criteria (2 criteria in Row, 1 in Column)

lawi227

Board Regular
The formula I am looking to build will be used to calculate the average, max, min, and median. For this post, I will stick to just calculating the average (but it would be extremely helpful if in the formula I could replace the AVERAGE function with MIN, MAX, or MEDIAN).

I have a table of data located in: 'LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$5:$BG$741

I need to find all the cells in the table above and calculate the average. To first identify which columns the data is located in, there are two criteria that need to be met:

1) criteria range: 'LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$2:$BG$2
criteria: 'LPA Database Scores '!$D$4:$P$4 NOTE: this is a merged cell that contains text

2) criteria range: 'LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$4:$BG$4
criteria: 'LPA Database Scores '!$E$5:$H$5

Lastly, we will have to select the appropriate rows using the following criteria:

3) criteria range: 'LPA Database Raw Data'!$C$5:$C$741
criteria: 'LPA Database Scores '!$D7

I tried to use the below formula, but it did not work. You can at least see the criteria and criteria range in the formula. Note: I would ideally like to avoid AVERAGEIFS since this formula only works in 2016.

=AVERAGEIFS('LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$5:$BG$741,'LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$4:$BG$4,'LPA Database Scores '!$E$5:$H$5,'LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$2:$BG$2,'LPA Database Scores '!$D$4:$P$4,'LPA Database Raw Data'!$C$5:$C$741,'LPA Database Scores '!$D7)

I'm happy to provide any more information necessary.

Thanks so much! This is a pretty advanced formula in my opinion, so I appreciate learning new approaches.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Try this array formula

=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH('LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$4:$BG$4,'LPA Database Scores '!$E$5:$H$5,0)),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH('LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$2:$BG$2,'LPA Database Scores '!$D$4:$P$4,0)),IF('LPA Database Raw Data'!$C$5:$C$741='LPA Database Scores '!$D7,'LPA Database Raw Data'!$F$5:$BG$741))))

confirm with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

You can use the same formula for MIN, MAX or MEDIAN, just change the function name

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back