Best Product Combination to achieve 100% Order fulfillment

aljrab

Board Regular
OK here is the scope:

I have a warehouse and it currently it is at full capacity, I can not physically add more people to pick product it is already way too congested. In this warehouse they pick from roughly 400 different products.

I was given another warehouse to increase the picking capacity but its much smaller so I can only put 50 products in there. What 50 products do I put that will allow me to fulfill an order completely? At the moment we have been putting the 50 products that are picked the most, and we have been getting an additional 20% capacity but we need the capacity to be more around 30 – 40% so is there a way I can run an algorithm or an sql or something that will tell me out of this pool of orders this is the best 50 products to take out and replicate into the other warehouse?

Example:
I have 7 products; products A, B C, D, E, F & G. I can only replicate 3 of these products in the other warehouse.

There are 20 orders a day:
ABC
AEDGFAB
DEFBCABGCAB
ABGAGACEDEF
CDEFECGDABGAC
FADEBDEAB

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="4" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

By the logic we are currently using the top 3 movers that would become the pickfaces in the other warehouse are products A, B & E.

Product Frequency
A12
B9
C7
D7
E8
F5
G6

<tbody>
</tbody>

Products A, B & E would only allow me to fulfill 2 orders ( the 2nd order and the last order) (10% increase) if I would have picked A,B & G I would have been able to fulfill 5 orders (25% increase) yet G was one of the least picked products….

I have attached this example below, If you can come up to something that I can apply to my warehouse orders that would be greatly appreciated

Order NumberProduct
1A
1B
1C
2A
3E
3D
3G
4F
4A
4B
5D
5E
5F
6B
6C
7A
7B
7G
8C
8A
8B
9A
9B
9G
10A
10G
11A
11C
11E
12D
12E
12F
13C
13D
13E
14F
14E
14C
14G
15D
15A
15B
16G
16A
16C
17F
18A
18D
18E
19B
19D
19E
20A
20B

<tbody>
</tbody>

Kind Regards

Sara

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi Sara,

Build a query that counts the number of times each product is ordered, and sort descending on the count.
If there is any seasonal variation in the ordering you will need to take that into account (a crosstab with months across the top, product as a row header and the count of orders in the Value area will help you to detect these patterns). You could also add the Year of the order in the row headers, to isolate patterns by year and see if they repeat.

Denis

Upvote 0
Hi Denis,

It is a fair bit more complex then that, I am after the top 50 products that will allow me to 100% fulfill orders, as per my above example and based on your suggestion the output of the data would say move A, B & E to the new warehouse, but if that was the case then only 10% of orders would have been fulfilled vs A, B and G or C where 25% of orders could have been fulfilled

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back