Best Way to Deduplicate Records but leave one

jscranton

I have an extremely large table (4.8MM records) that is the result of users importing excels with the same format into this table. From what I can tell, there are a significant number of duplicates within this population (likely from users importing the same excel twice). The tricky part is that I want to remove duplicates where all fields are the same but leave at least one record. In Excel, I would just concatenate all the fields into a new column and then deduplicate the table on that concatenated field. Is there a way to do this in access?

Thanks,

J

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

alansidman

Office Version
Platform
Windows
It would create a query result that only lists unique rows. If you then need that somewhere else, you could do a MakeTable query, export to Excel, include in a report, etc. which only have the unique information.

jscranton

Thanks. The problem is that even deduplicated it is over 2MM rows. I ended up building a new table and appending the uniques to it.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arpit

This Week's Hot Topics