Biexponential trend or fit

benaviner

Hello experts!

I need your help with calculating the parameters of biexponential (two term exponent) fit of my data. Or in other words, getting the parameters of a biexponential trendline of my data, known to be following this equation:

y= A1*e^(b1*x) + A2*e^(b2*x)

I am more interested in the b1, b2 parameters, if that helps.
The data is in a few hundred rows in two columns (x & y).

Excel seems to only give parameters of a simple exponential fit, e.g.

y = 5e^-0.66x , or y=A*e^(b*x)

I have even failed to find an Excel add-in to do the job.

Will greatly appretiate it if you could dedicate your time to solve this problem!

Thank you,
Ben

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Dear Herbert,

Thank you for dedicating your time to my post.

1. Did you use ZunZun.com engine in order to find the coefficients? How does one enter the data to this engine in order for it to calculate? Can the results be automatically imported to Excel?

2. I am seeking for a way to make excel calculate the coefficients of a bi-exponential curve by itself (perhaps with an Add-in or VBA programming?), as it successfully does for a single exponential curve (e.g. using the function LOGEST, but with the number "e" as I described in the original post, or as it does while calculating an exponential trend line: please see image, R square shows how inaccurate this trend line is http://www.screencast.com/t/AdD5D1Mr4UdO).

Respectfully,
Ben

Upvote 0
benaviner

Did you try Excel Solver? Might be possible if you start with reasonable starting values.

Wigi

Upvote 0
wigi,

Thank you! I did not know Solver before, and indeed succeeded to find a solution using it!

Herbert,

Zunzun is useful for finding a single solution for a set of data, but I am not aware of a way it can be used "in-house" by excel.

Respectfully,
Ben

Upvote 0
Dear All,

Unfortunately Excel Solver is still too limited in its method of solving the issue at hand, and it is not reasonable to run it for 1000s of times...
Could this fit be calculated using a VBA code that can be integrated/used within excel?

Thank you ,
Ben

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back