Broken links - Network path keeps changing - Multiple users

travisc

Board Regular
We use several spreadsheets that all link to each other, that are in different subfolders on the network share drive.

The path is/should be:
\\server\storage\2015\January

If I modify these spreadsheets from my PC, the links are great... If the others modify them, and save... It changes the path to:
\\server\2015\January

It keeps removing the \storage\ folder from the path... I've verified their shortcuts to this shared drive are correct. We don't use a drive letter for mapping here... There are 1000s of links in some of these workbooks, so I can't go into Edit-->Links--> Change source... without having all the other documents open, because it takes forever to update all the links.

I've been searching for days for solutions, found lots of discussions and people with the issue but not much in terms of help or fixes.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Link paths are relative in Excel to the extent that they can be. If all the workbooks are in the same folder links in the target workbook will reference that folder. It sounds like the others have the target workbook in \\server\2015\January while you have it in \\server\storage\2015\January. Here is an article from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328440

Upvote 0
I appreciate the assistance, thank you!

How do I change their target? I've checked the shortcuts that they use to get to the folder, and it includes the \storage\... Actually it's the same as mine.

Upvote 0
If all the workbooks are in the same folder as you are using, I don't know, sorry. Have you given us the actual paths?

Upvote 0
\\server\storage\2015\January\Totals\File1.xlsm
\\server\storage\2015\January\Scrap\File2.xlsm
\\server\storage\2015\January\Specs\File3.xlsm

All 3 of these files have links to one another...

\\server\2015 doesn't even exist, never has... I don't understand how excel would ever change the paths to that?

If there were a \\server\2015\January\File1.xlsm i could understand.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back