Building a complex form

bkelly

This is a learning vehicle and I am an Access beginner. My book does not go into this depth. An issues database contains the following tables:

Tbl_Issues: The issues that have been created

Tbl_Join_Issues_To_People: A many to many join. One issue will have an opener, assigned to, sometimes a second or more assigned to if the issue is passed around, a closed by, an optional consulted with, and possibly other relationships. It contains a foreign key to Tbl_Issue_People_Relatsionships specifying the type of relationship.

Tbl_People: The people that can be involved with an issue.

Tbl_Issues_People_Relationships: Specifies the relationship between the issue and the person. New reasons may be found so I use a table rather than a hard coded list.

I am using form wizard to build a form that uses the issues as the primary source and the people as a secondary source. The join table should be transparent to the user. The relationship table will be a drop down list so the user can select the type of relationship.

When I create the form with the wizard I get the fields from the issues. That’s good. The join table comes up as the sub form, and I don’t see the people table or the relationships table.

Can this task be written down as a procedure to follow? Or is this too wild and wooly for that?

I can post the database here, or put it on my web site, but that would probably be a bit much. I have written a lot of Excel VBA, but never any Access. If VBA is needed I can go there.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Access 2010 if that helps any.

Maybe if I post my steps someone will tell me what to do different.
1. Create -> Form Wizard
2. Open Tables/Queries drop down, select tbl_Issues
3. Select >> and move all to Selected Fields
4. Open drop down and select tbl_Join_Issues_To_People
5. Select >> and move all to Selected Fields
6. Open drop down and select tbl_People
7. Double click following to move to Selected Fields
a. PK_People
b. Last_Name
c. First_Name
d. Company
8. Click Next and leave default selected: form with subforms(s)
9. Click Next and leave Datasheet selected.
10. Leave defaults for Form and Subform and select Finish
11. Form opens in layout view. The fields from tbl_Issues are in the main form. The subform contains the fields from tbl_join_Issues_To_People. tbl_People is not visible.

I have tried selecting the tables in different order but it always comes up showing issues and the join table. I tried creating a query with all three tables and building a form using the query. It looks the same.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back