Calculating the APY on a Credit Card with Monthly Fees

TheMusonius

I have done a thorough search for the calculation in Excel that gives me the APY for a credit card I have that charges an interest rate of 24.40% BUT also charges me $8.25 per month as one month's cost of the annual fee of $99 - and have found NOTHING. If my balance is $430.38 and the credit limit is $500 and I make monthly payments of $50 (the minimum monthly payments is $25), I "simply" want to know the true APR of the credit card - which I understand means I want to know the APY of the credit card, ie, the full cost stated in %s of the credit card. Since it is a credit card, daily compounding is assumed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I've perhaps answered my own question, but I would sincerely appreciate anyone with the requisite knowledge to confirm or refute my very simple answer to my own question. First, I understand, you have to make some assumptions to get at the answer. So, my assumptions are: 1) The credit card issuer "bank" uses a 365 day year 2) That on average, the bank assesses me interest for 30.4167 days per month 3) For simplicity, I assume my average balance remains at $430.38

If those assumptions are reasonable, my monthly interest is $8.75 = ($430.38 x (24.40%/365) * (365/12))
BUT since I am also assessed a monthly fee of $8.25, that means the total finance charges per month are $17.00 ($8.75 + $8.25)
Which in turn means that the APY = ($17 / $430.38) * 12 or 47.40%!

Sounds outrageous but it appears to be completely reasonable based on pretty simple and sensical math. This card within the month will be paid off regardless, but what I found fascinating in my internet searches was that this calculation was stated to be very difficult and no one addressed this specific situation of interest AND monthly fees in calculating an approximate APY.

I understand I had to make some assumptions that weren't entirely realistic (I've been reducing the average balance), but even by reducing the balance, I don't believe that would materially affect the APY - correct? I don't care that this is one of many "banks" that has offshored their support, but on direct confrontation with one of their "account managers" tonight, they agreed to waive the monthly fee for 3 months and reduce the interest rate to 15.90% (no lie).

Would still greatly appreciate any insight from the board members!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back