Calendar Problem

bodazx

This challenge is a real whopper: not for the faint of heart

I work as a marketing intern at NBC Universal in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">London</st1:place></st1:city>. I was recently tasked with creating a calendar of the earliest international release dates for our DVD titles, adding 55 days to the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> release date given to us by our colonial counterparts.
<o:p> </o:p>
Because I was already given a previous year's spreadsheet to use as a template, I didn't bother too much to make any changes to the worksheet structure. The only formula I used in the worksheet was a simple = USdate +55 formula to calculate my int'l dates. I later realized this was inadequate, for a couple of reasons (reasons which, if you are on this board, you can probably infer).

My calendar looks like this:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGH
2********
3MARCHAPRIL
4TITLEEIRD *US RELEASE DATEAGENCYTITLEEIRD *US RELEASE DATEAGENCY
5Law & Order S715-Mar19-Jan*In Plain Sight19-Apr23-Feb*
6********
7********
8Monk S808-Mar12-Jan*Kojak S226-Apr02-Mar*
9********
10********
11Monk CS08-Mar12-Jan*Harry & The Hendersons14-Jun20-Aprrights?
12********
13********
14Murder She Wrote S1129-Mar02-Feb*****
15********
16********
17Columbo 1991-199229-Mar02-Feb*****
18********
19********
Int Schedule

I don't know why it is showing those *. Those cells are supposed to be blank.

Anyhow, my biggest complaint is whenever I update a US release date, if the change is great enough to affect the month of international release, I have to move the title to it's new month myself. I don't want to do that; I know there should be a way to conditionally format it, or do something else so that a title that should release in April will automatically move there on its own.

On it's own, solving this problem would be a tremendous help. If you can help me with an even larger challenge, that would be spectacular. About a week after I created the above calendar, I was forwarded another one from the guys over in the US. Their calendar had all the updated dates and titles for US release, so naturally I need to incorporate those into my cal to figure the int'l release. Unfortunately. their calendar was formatted completely differently:
Excel Workbook
DEFGHIJK
1*******
22/7 Superbowl * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 2/15 President's Day * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Late Feb. The Academy Awards**4/4 Easter * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *4/22 Earth Day5/9 Mother's Day * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 5/31 Memorial Day*
3FEBRUARYSRPMARCHSRPAPRILSRPMAYSRP
4********
5[2/2]*[3/2]*[4/6]*[5/4]*
6Tremors CS29.98Kojak S2$49.98NASCAR Gold$14.98Q2 TV Value Packs$0.00
7Murder She Wrote S11$49.98******
8Inside the White House Collection$29.98******
9********
10**[3/16 - 6/29] Q2 TV DVD TPR*****
11[2/9]*[3/16]*[4/13]*[5/11]*
12Crusoe S1 Downsize$26.98Thriller 1960$0.00Battlestar Galactica S3 BD$69.98Hercules S1$0.00
13My Secret Identity$34.98**Friday Night Lights S4$29.98Zena S1$0.00
14********
15****[4/20]*[5/18]*
16**[3/16 - 5/11] SPRING BREAK TPR*Harry & the Hendersons S1$39.98L&O Criminal Intent S5$59.98
17******SNL Digital Shorts$19.98
18******Royal Pains S1$59.98
19[2/23]*******
20In Plain Sight S2$59.98******
Development Calendar

The main purpose of my posting is, I want to know if there is a way that I can take the data I have recieved in the format of the US "Development Calendar" and easily bring it in to my "Int'l Schedule". Alternatively, if there is a better way to achieve the same objective (turning US release dates in to int'l release dates 55 days later), I would love to hear it. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to designing a new, more efficient template to be used by both countries. What is the best way I should do this?

Clearing both of the above issues up would be a great help. If you have the time, helping me solve a few other problems would be greately appreciated. When I created my formula in "Int'l Schedule" to calculate the EIRD (us release + 55), I want to drag this down to fill all the cells in the appropriate columns. However, I also want to leave 2 rows blank in between each title, and using the fill-down places the date Feb. 24 next to blank cells, which it reads as 00-Jan. This should be easy to fix, but using an =IF statement required that I at least instert a " " blank space as the negative argument, and I would rather leave the cells truly blank, than having them just appear "blank". To keep organized, I would like to be able to sort the data by day of month, but the blank rows I am intentionally leaving in between titles would be compromised. I would like to sort the data, but keep my blank rows intact.

Thank you for any and all help!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back