Can anyone articulate why it is more efficient to have source files open when updating PowerLinks?

BuJay

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I find this to be a huge and critical step when updating links in a PowerPoint, namely, having the Excel source file(s) open first. I need to explain why this happens to some validation colleagues - anyone have an explanation as to why this happens? I feel like the links are "active" when all of the files are open and there is no need to move across the network to connect to the source files when they are all open, but I am not sure how to accurately reflect or explain this (nor am I sure what I said above it correct.)

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Anyone? Maybe point me to a reference? Appreciate it! My google searches haven't really worked...

Upvote 0
Hi BuJay,
Excel is very good at some things and a bit dumb at others, if you have a file that looks up data from another file in just one cell, it probably makes little difference. but if you have a list in one file and for each row you are looking up info from another file then when the worksheet recalculates, for each cell excel will open the other file, do the lookup and then close the other file. If the other file is already open it can skip the open and close. If your other file is of any significat size, this will introduce a lot of time.

Upvote 1
Solution
Hi BuJay,
Excel is very good at some things and a bit dumb at others, if you have a file that looks up data from another file in just one cell, it probably makes little difference. but if you have a list in one file and for each row you are looking up info from another file then when the worksheet recalculates, for each cell excel will open the other file, do the lookup and then close the other file. If the other file is already open it can skip the open and close. If your other file is of any significat size, this will introduce a lot of time.
totally makes sense to me based on my experience too - was looking for the actual explanation and this is helpful. Thanks for taking a few seconds to share your thoughts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back