Edit Links>Change Source keeps resulting in endless multiple prompts to select new link

Steven_N

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi All,

Longtime reader, first time poster. Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm trying to use the Edit Links function to change a few links (one at a time, though some formulas may reference multiple files/links in the same cell), but whenever I use the feature, after I point to the new file, Excel appears to acknowledge the change but the re-prompts asking me to select the new file & location again. This will go on seemingly endlessly (generally stop after 5-10) as the file(s) in question are reference in hundreds of cells/rows. The file does have a several old links that won't break, so not sure if it's just corrupt and needs to be rebuilt at this point, or if it's something else. But it's certainly not the smooth, click 'Change source' once and Excel replaces them all experience that I am used to from this feature. Occasionally I've noticed that if after several repeats of the process if I 'Esc' out, it will have updated the link, but not consistently, and this isn't a robust process I can ask other users of the file to go through regularly. Some more info:

- Some files are password protected, some are not; But still have the issue when I have the file I want to reference open on my desktop
- Have tried this across platforms (Mac/PC) with the same outcome
- Am not getting any error message from Excel

Appreciate anyone's insight into what might be happening here.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back