Can "SUMIF" be used across multiple workbooks?

kelvin2088

Board Regular
I have 2 workbooks, workbook A and workbook B.

Workbook A contains date, product Name and profit associated with that product. look like this:

Date Product Profit
1/1/2010 Apple $1
1/1/2010 Banana $2
1/2/2010 Apple $3
1/3/2010 Apple $4
1/5/2010 Banana $3

Workbook B contains product name and Total profit of each product, like this:

Product Total Profit
Apple $8
Banana $5

I'm just wondering can "sumif" function manage multi-workbook calculation? (I tried, and it returned me error)

If not, is there any alternative to that function /or formula? Thanks!!

I'm told Excel 2003 can't handle the whole column reference. Change H:H to H1:H65535 and N:N to N1:N65535. If that doesn't work, maybe named ranged could help you use the whole column.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Let me try.
Btw, what's the correct formula for sumproduct? how come I get 0 for using sumproduct function?

I'm told Excel 2003 can't handle the whole column reference. Change H:H to H1:H65535 and N:N to N1:N65535. If that doesn't work, maybe named ranged could help you use the whole column.

Upvote 0
I think Sumproduct and Sumif would have the same issues regarding entire column rnages. try the Sumif with the modified ranges, if that doesn't work we can try a modified SUmProduct or an array formula. this is definitely possible.

Upvote 0
Bad news is that it still doesn't work
goodnews is that I'm working on an alternative: I sumproduct on workbook A first then vlookup workbook A from workbook B:biggrin:

I think Sumproduct and Sumif would have the same issues regarding entire column rnages. try the Sumif with the modified ranges, if that doesn't work we can try a modified SUmProduct or an array formula. this is definitely possible.

Upvote 0
I really think something is in the data, but if it works in book A then that's not the case. I can't replicate your issue unfortunately.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your help anyway.....looks like I'll just use vlookup to coverup this issue for now:biggrin::biggrin:

I really think something is in the data, but if it works in book A then that's not the case. I can't replicate your issue unfortunately.

Upvote 0
FYI, SUMIF will work across workbooks and will accept an entire column as a reference, but the source workbook has to be open.
SUMPRODUCT will not work (pre-2007) with an entire column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back