Can you add a column to filter on without losing existing filters?

Methodician

I've run into this so many times I have to find a solution.

I have some huge dataset and spend hours meticulously filtering it down to a subset. I add a couple columns to the dataset for notes or formulas and now want to filter on these new columns, without removing and re-applying all filters. At the very least, without losing all the filtering I've already done.

Is there a way to just add a new column to the filter set? That is, I want to add the filter drop-down to my newly added columns without removing and re-applying those on the pre-existing columns.

Seems simple enough...

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
If I understand properly, you are filtering for a dataset, then adding columns. Those new columns wouldn't have filtering applied to them yet because you did the filtering before adding columns.

If you add your notes/formula columns first, then begin your filtering for a subset, you would be able to continue filtering further without having to start over after adding notes or formulas.

I would also encourage you to create a VBA recording to automate much of what you are doing if you are spending hours filtering in the first place.

If you aren't familiar with using VBA, it can be a struggle to teach yourself and develop an efficient macro to begin with, but can save you many man hours in the future.

Upvote 0
Thanks. You know, I hadn't considered creating a macro for something I'm only doing once or twice but that might be a good solution here. I'm quote familiar with VBA...

I suppose a little foresight is the best solution here - creating my additional columns before beginning the work. I usually just dive right in.

Upvote 0
Yep all you need to do is pop an x or some random thing in a column like 20 rows away from your last and then you can preserve your fliters while adding new columns into the sheet. Super easy :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back