Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2011
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have a sub that copies a formula into a group of cells. There are two options for what formula it will put in the cell, depending on which option button is selected by the user. It isn't working, and I'm not sure why.

Note: I don't want to call the cells by their Column Letter and Row Number, in case I insert columns and rows in the future. So I am calling the Columns by their Named Ranges and the rows by numbers that it reads from somewhere on the sheet.

Code:
Sub VarianceColumnCalc()

Dim FirstRow As Integer, LastRow As Integer

FirstRow = Range("A_first_row").Value
LastRow = Range("A_last_row").Value

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Module7.UnprotectPage1ASheet

Select Case Application.Caller

Case "EstimatedOptionButton"
        ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Page 1A").Intersect([P1A_Actual_Variance], Rows(FirstRow)).Formula = "=P1A_Actual-P1A_Bid_Estimated"

Case "WorkingOptionButton"
        ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Page 1A").Intersect([P1A_Actual_Variance], Rows(FirstRow)).Formula = "=P1A_Actual-P1A_Working_Total"

End Select

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Page 1A").Intersect([P1A_Actual_Variance], Rows(FirstRow & ":" & LastRow + 4)).Formula.FillDown

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Page 1A").Range("P1A_Actual_VarianceTotal").Font.Bold = True

Module7.ProtectPage1ASheet
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

It is throwing an error on the line directly after 'Case "EstimatedOptionButton"'. It says Object doesn't support this property or method. I assume it has something to do with Intersect? But I am not familiar enough with Intersect to know if the problem is my syntax or if it simply cannot paste formulas to cells using it?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
This is how id write that intersect where Table1 is the name of the table:

Code:
With Sheets("Page 1A")
    Set rng = Intersect(.Range("Table1[[#All],[P1A_Actual_Variance]]"), .Rows(FirstRow))
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.Value = "=P1A_Actual-P1A_Bid_Estimated"
End With

Upvote 0
Thanks, Steve.

This morning I was Googling around looking for a solution, and I stumbled upon something else that worked. If I change the line:

Code:
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Page 1A").Intersect([P1A_Actual_Variance], Rows(FirstRow)).Formula = "=P1A_Actual-P1A_Bid_Estimated"

To this:

Code:
Application.Intersect([P1A_Actual_Variance], Rows(FirstRow)).Formula = "=P1A_Actual-P1A_Bid_Estimated"

It works. So for this instance I am going to go with this. (But if you see any potential issue with doing it this way, please let me know.) But I see the logic behind the way you did it, and that could work, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back