Case Sensitive Data Validation

D_E_Manton

Hi Everyone,

I'm developing a tool for analysing educational data which involves the input and the analysis in one workbook. I am controlling the input with data validation using a named range because of the amount of times I would have to repeat the same delimited list when I create the other validation sheets/cells.

However because I am using a named range for this data validation it is not case sensitive. This means that later on when I use the named ranges based on dependency to select filters for my data the conditional statements that do the maths won't recognise an input which deviates from the named range. This unfortunately messes it up.

Therefore is it possible to make data validation with named ranges case sensitive? I would prefer a non macro solution but if it has to be it will have to be.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Because they need to input in the cells then the input would surely replace those formulas? Or are you talking about using a macro?

Would this work in my conditional formulas as a way of comparing the values?

such as =IF(Lower(Cell Ref) = Lower(Cell Ref),Do if true, do if false)

Upvote 0
Which conditional statements are you using? Most Excel functions are not case-sensitive, e.g. a direct comparison like

=A1=B1

will return TRUE

even if A1 = "APPLE" and B1 = "apple".

Having said that you could make the data validation case-sensitive by using EXACT function, e.g. with a custom formula

=SUM(EXACT(A1,List)+0)

where A1 is your data validation cell and List is the name of the list. That method won't allow you to use a dropdown list, though

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back