Tonton Math

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
Hello everyone,

Just a simple question from an excel rookie. How to make sure that the cursor in excel skips a cell (like if you try to click on that cell, the cursor just will not stay) A simple example: you have

Qty Unit Price Total. Since the "Total" results from Qty x Unit Price, the cursor should never allow any change under the Total cell because it contains the result of the other cells calculation. I've tried cell protection, but it did not work the way I want it. I just want the cell to be protected so that the cursor will never allow any change in that particular cell.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Start by unprotecting all the cells in the sheet. Then protect the cells in the column containing the "Total" and protect the sheet.

Upvote 0
Start by unprotecting all the cells in the sheet. Then protect the cells in the column containing the "Total" and protect the sheet.
Thank you. I tried it but still not working. As I protect the sheet, everything is locked. All I want is the cursor to skip a specific cell. Based on my example, I want the user of the sheet to enter only the Qty and the price. No access to the total column.

Upvote 0
If everything is locked after you protect the sheet, it means that you haven't unlocked all the cells. Before protecting the sheet, you have to make sure that you first unlock all the cells in the sheet. Then lock all the cells in the "Total" column. To unlock all the cells, click on the upper left corner of the sheet just above the row number 1 and to the left of the header column A. This will select all the cells in the sheet. Then right click anywhere in the sheet and click "Format Cells". Click the "Protection" tab and remove the check mark in the box to the left of "Locked" and click "OK". Next select all the the "Total" column by clicking on the header letter and repeat the above steps except this time, put the check mark back in the box to the left of "Locked" and click "OK".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back