Change military grades into rank

air force guy

Afternoon all
Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work consistently, sometimes blank cell is civilian and formula stops working

Here is what I have...
View attachment 24920
=IF(C2=1,"2 LT",IF(C2=2,"1 LT",IF(C2=3,"Capt",IF(C2=4,"Maj",IF(C2=5,"Lt Col",IF(C2=6,"Col",IF(C2=7,"Brig Gen",IF(C2=8,"Maj Gen",IF(C2=9,"Lt Gen",IF(C2=10,"Gen",IF(C2=31,"E1",IF(C2=32,"E2",IF(C2=33,"E3",IF(C2=34,"E4",IF(C2=35,"E5",IF(C2=36,"E6",IF(C2=37,"E7",IF(C2=38,"E8",IF(C2=39,"E9",IF(C2="","CIV"))))))))))))))))))))

And it's working now, not sure why it didn't work on my original worksheet
For some reason when I type this formula on another computer with "Excel 16" the blank cell still comes up "False", everything else works. Can I use this formula for all my data when I need it to convert to something else? How long can I make this formula?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
"Excel 16" the blank cell still comes up "False", everything else works. Can I use this formula for all my data when I need it to convert to something else? How long can I make this formula?

The blank cell comes up as CIV for me with 365, you can nest 64 IF's (although I wouldn't want to).
You will get a FALSE if there is a space in the cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The blank cell comes up as CIV for me with 365, you can nest 64 IF's (although I wouldn't want to).
That is my next problem...same worksheet. I have random letters and numbers that can either be real or exercise. I can use the same formula but that is very time consuming, is there another way?

Upvote 0
That is my next problem...same worksheet. I have random letters and numbers that can either be real or exercise. I can use the same formula but that is very time consuming, is there another way?
BTW the spaces was the problem...thank you

Upvote 0
I have random letters and numbers that can either be real or exercise. I can use the same formula but that is very time consuming, is there another way
Can you post a sample of your data showing the above using the boards XL2BB addin please?

Upvote 0
Can you post a sample of your data showing the above using the boards XL2BB addin please?
1603744583203.png

I plan to use same formula, except there are like 20 of them

Upvote 0
Sorry but not sure what you want by your last post, please post the data with the result that you expect (also please use the boards XL2BB addin when posting data as we can't copy paste an image into Excel, click the XL2BB icon in the reply window for the download link and instructions).

Upvote 0
Sorry but not sure what you want by your last post, please post the data with the result that you expect (also please use the boards XL2BB addin when posting data as we can't copy paste an image into Excel, click the XL2BB icon in the reply window for the download link and instructions).
Understood (sorry). Will wait until I get to the house to post. Some of those made up plans are "Real" and some are "Exer", again using the same IF formula I posted earlier

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back