Changing name of sheet using VBA

seh27

I have a workbook with multiple sheets. Each sheet has a title (just words in a cell). Is there VBA formula that will have the sheet take the name of the title and also chnage when the title name changes? Thanks

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Try like this in the ThisWorkbook module - change A1 to suit

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address(False, False) = "A1" Then Sh.Name = Target.Value
End Sub

Upvote 0
use below code in ThisWorkbook module - change A1 to which Cell your Title have

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Value
End Sub

Upvote 0
I have to wait until tomorrow to try this but seeing as two responses were the same answer these should work. Thanks! To clarify though, what is the ThisWorkbook Module?

Upvote 0
I understand now. I pasted the code, how do I run it now? I apologize for these questions that seem some what obvious but I know how to use VBA only at a minimum.

Upvote 0
It runs automatically whenever you change the value in A1 on one of your sheets.

Upvote 0
Well, since you haven't really described any details about where the "title" is stored, we've just been guessing that it's in the cell A1.
And also, we don't know "how" that cell changes. Is that cell a formula or do you change it by hand?

So please give some more details of exactly what you want to accomplish

Upvote 0
Cell A1 is correct. The title for each sheet is in cell A1 but part of the title is coming from a different. For example the formula of cell A1 of one sheet looks like this :

="Task Tracker for "&'READ ME!'!A16

The actual title of that sheet is Task Tracker for Property A. The Property A part is coming from &'READ ME!'!A16, which is another sheet and the cell in that sheet. Property A is the only thing that would be changing in the title and in order to change it I would go to the sheet called Read Me! and changed it there. It then automatically changes cell A1 in the other sheet to whatever I changed it to. So my goal is to also get the corresponding sheet name to change. Looking at it now, the sheet name is currently titled just Property A, so if there is a way I could link the sheet name to the correct cell from the Read Me! sheet, that would work better. All of the sheets relate back to the sheet called Read Me. (I did not make up this workbook, someone else did and I am trying to help them out).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back