Chart Labels With Dynamic Named Range

tstone

I have created a chart that provides a hisotry of events on a timeline. It relies on named ranges and allows me to change the upper and lower date ranges displayed on the x-axis of the chart by changing the date in cells that define the upper and lower dates. In order to display the events on the timeline I have a table that includes 3 columns... a date colmn, an event description column, and a event height column. To display the information I have used a line chart with data points that uses the "event height" data to determine how high up on the graph to display the event information. I have hidden the line, added a label for each event, and added an error bar that draws a line between each label and the bottom of the chart. By default the labels displayed the "event height" information (as expected), so I selected each label individually and added a formula that causes it to display information from the "event description" column instead of the default value. All of this works perfectly with no issues.

The problem comes when I change the date range displayed in the chart. Currently the chart displays event information for 1/1/2012 - 5/30/2012. I can modify 5/30/2012 to be any date I would like that is greater than 1/1/2012 with no problem. Everything displays correctly. However, if I modify the 1/1/2012 date the labels change to reflect the original value (event height data) instead of what I modified it to (event description). I haven't been able to figure out how to correct this and could use help.

A sample spreadsheet can be found here:
http://sdrv.ms/LPwNkR<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I have researched the heck out of this issue over the past few days and have not been able to find another person with the same question, much less a solution. I have tried various other solutions like defining the label contents individually as names ranges.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bergy32204

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back