HelpMe1

Hi,
I’ve created a chart that details flow rate for every sporadic reading that was taken. This has charted well and details what I need it to. However, I’m having real problems formatting the x-axis (Date & time) which is taken from two separate columns. The problem I have is that I have lots of data which is required in the graph but I want to edit the x axis so that the date and time only shows say every 6 hours.

At the moment the amount of data means the x axis is unreadable as there is a date and time for each reading and the readings aren’t taken at regular intervals. I’ve tried editing the min and max in chart settings but because its date and time it has no effect.

Not sure if I’ve explained that well enough but basically I want to set an x axis that has date and time but so the min is set to 6 hours but all the data inbetween is still shown.

To summarise, x axis = date and time (only four days) and y axis equals flow rate at those increments. I’m hoping this is a simple presentation change which can show the time as : 0:00, 06:00, 12:00, 18:00 etc even though none of the flow readings are triggered at those exact times.

This is my first post and I’m amateurish at best on excel so please step any instructions as if it was for a child/dog to follow J

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Welcome to MrExcel.

In a spare column enter a formula that returns the data and time, eg A2+B2, and format as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm. Change the Chart type to XY(Scatter) and use that column for the X Axis. Then right click the X Axis, choose Format Axis and set the Major Unit to 0.25. You may also need to set the Minimum and Maximum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p17tootie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back