Classify cases according to 2 categorical variables

mabras

Board Regular
hello everyone,
I would need to classify subjects by crossing two existing categories.
I have two variabiles with 4 categories each, giving rise to a 4x4= 16 categories classification.

|var01|var02|NEW|
| A | A | 1
| A | B | 2
| A | C | 3
| A | D | 4
| B | A | 5
| B | B | 6
(...)
| D | D | 16

What should I do in order to automatically classify subjects according to these two variables?

Example:
ss|var01|var02|
01| A | C |=> RESULT: 3

thanks for the help!
Mabras

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Here's how I would do it..

Create a table...

A16:D16

In column A list Variable 1
In Column B List Variable 2
In Column C Formula =A1&B1 Dragged down to =A16&B16
In Column D 1-16 listed down.

Assuming F1 & G1 are where your valiables are to be entered & H1 is where you want your result..

H1 =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(F1&G1,C1:D16,2,0)),"Need Variables",VLOOKUP(F1&G1,C1:D16,2,0))

If G1 or H1 are missing/invalid it will result in Need Variables otherwise it should work.

Regards

Roger

Upvote 0
Assuming columns A and B will always get filled together, you could use this formula in your RESULT's column...

=(2+SEARCH(A2&B2,"AA AB AC AD BA BB BC BD CA CB CC CD DA DB DC DD"))/3

If you don't want to see the intermediary calculation that results when one of the cells is filled in while waiting for the other to get filled in, you could use this extended form of the above formula to hide then displayed value until both cells are filled in...

=IF(OR(A2="",B2=""),"",(2+SEARCH(A2&B2,"AA AB AC AD BA BB BC BD CA CB CC CD DA DB DC DD"))/3)

Upvote 0
thank you so much, it works! I do not have missing values though... could then the forumla be simplified?

Upvote 0
thank you so much, it works! I do not have missing values though... could then the forumla be simplified?
If you were referring to the formulas I posted, the first one is the simplified version. If you use it, what happens is when you put a value in one of the cells, a number, usually a floating point one, is displayed, but the correct value won't be displayed until the second cell is filled in. The second formula I posted does the identical thing as the first formula, but it holds back displaying anything until both cells have been filled in. So, you have a choice of which function to use depending on whether the display of an intermediary floating point number bothers you or not.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back