Clear Contents of Merged Cells

Lindsay0385

Hi - Just a general question, as I'm confused about this. A while ago I created a macro with the macro recorder that uses relative references. I was able to clear the contents of merged cells while using that macro and didn't think anything of it, as it worked as expected.

Example (where A1:K1 is a merged cell, F3:K3 are merged, etc.)
Code:
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 2).Range("A1:K1,F3:K3,H5:K5,F7:K8").ClearContents

But I tried to reuse the code in another project by copying and pasting the code and changing the values, every time I ran the macro, I got an error message saying that it wasn't possible do to that with a merged cell.

Eventually I remembered that I created the original macro via recording, and I did the same for my new project and it worked perfectly. The code looks exactly the same as what I typed, but it works without errors.

Why would this happen? So strange.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Eventually I remembered that I created the original macro via recording, and I did the same for my new project and it worked perfectly. The code looks exactly the same as what I typed, but it works without errors.
Are you sure it is EXACTLY the same?
I ask, because I don't think that anything you record will have the Offset function in it.

Upvote 0
you could add line:

ActiveCell.Offset(1, 2).Range("A1:K1,F3:K3,H5:K5,F7:K8").
MergeCells = False

to remove the effect of the merged cells. Is that what you want?

Upvote 0
Assuming A1 is the active cell when you run that code, it is actually trying to clear the contents of C2:M2 rather than A1:K1

Upvote 0
Are you sure it is EXACTLY the same?
I ask, because I don't think that anything you record will have the Offset function in it.

The recorded macro (with relative references button selected) used the Find function to find a specific cell on a form and based on that cell copy and paste specific rows and then clear contents of the merged cells, which are a form entry, in case there were values in the form prior to copying. It was exactly the same formula, as I copied in pasted it from the version that worked, but just edited the offset values to work on my new sheet.

Here's a part of my recorded macro:
Code:
    Cells.Find(What:="copy here", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
    MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate

ActiveCell.Rows("1:12").EntireRow.Select
    Selection.Copy
    ActiveCell.Offset(12, 0).Rows("1:1").EntireRow.Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown

ActiveCell.Offset(1, 2).Range("A1:K1,F3:K3,H5:K5,F7:K8").ClearContents

It works great, I'm just questioning why a recorded macro is able to Clear Contents of merged cells, but when I copy and paste the code to another worksheet, it doesn't work and gives me error messages.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back