Column data selection drop-down

CaptainGravyBum

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
Hoping this is an easy to answer, not easy to explain.
I have two spreadsheets, sheet1 has headers but no data and sheet2 holds just data. The headers are different on each sheet and I need to get sheet1 populated based on the columns in sheet2 without having to go back and forth between them.
Is there a way to have a drop-down list under each heading in sheet1 where I can match the required column in sheet2 and import the required rows when the column has been selected?
A bit like database matching in access.
For example Sheet1 ColumnA is Date which matches Column2 on Sheet2 and will populated the rows with data in them from sheet2 into sheet1.

So the drop down on sheet1 will show the headers or column numbers from sheet2 and when a selection is made the rows will auto fill with data.

Hope that makes some sense.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hope that makes some sense
Kind of confusing...

But from what I have sensed You want to make a drop down list of headers...

After that you can use Filter Function on your data in Sheet 2 to pull it on Sheet 1. But there has to be significant correlation between the two. Else you have establish that using IF or IFS function for excel to know the corelation.

Sheet 2 having data without headers make me think... Still Filter Function can be applied.

Upvote 0
Kind of confusing...

But from what I have sensed You want to make a drop down list of headers...

After that you can use Filter Function on your data in Sheet 2 to pull it on Sheet 1. But there has to be significant correlation between the two. Else you have establish that using IF or IFS function for excel to know the corelation.

Sheet 2 having data without headers make me think... Still Filter Function can be applied.
Hi @SanjayGMusafir,
I'm not sure this will achieve my desired result. I would like the cells in sheet1 to have a drop down menu that shows all of the column headers from sheet2. When one of the headers is chosen, the data from the selected header name will be imported from sheet2 into the selected column in sheet1.

So if I'm in sheet1 cell A2 and pick the date column from a header list using sheet2's data, the whole date column from sheet2 will import into column A of sheet1.

Upvote 0
So if I'm in sheet1 cell A2 and pick the date column from a header list using sheet2's data, the whole date column from sheet2 will import into column A of sheet1.
I think that is much easier than I originally thought. Check this and revert - Here Cell A1 is drop down which you might not see in XL2BB. C2:C7, D2:D7, E2:E7 are named ranges

Book1
ABCDE
1Test1Test1Test2Test3
2Data 01 01Data 01 01Data 02 01Data 03 01
3Data 01 02Data 01 02Data 02 02Data 03 02
4Data 01 03Data 01 03Data 02 03Data 03 03
5Data 01 04Data 01 04Data 02 04Data 03 04
6Data 01 05Data 01 05Data 02 05Data 03 05
7Data 01 06Data 01 06Data 02 06Data 03 06
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A7A2=INDIRECT(A1)
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
A1ListTest1,Test2,Test3

Upvote 0
I think that is much easier than I originally thought. Check this and revert - Here Cell A1 is drop down which you might not see in XL2BB. C2:C7, D2:D7, E2:E7 are named ranges
I like this idea, but sheet2 has dynamic data in the cells so i can't name the range as such and a bigger issue is there are 39 columns in the data sheet which would be difficult to name or select from a list.

Upvote 0
I like this idea, but sheet2 has dynamic data in the cells so i can't name the range as such and a bigger issue is there are 39 columns in the data sheet which would be difficult to name or select from a list.
You can always make dynamic data a Named Range and 39 columns if you need it...

Anyhow, that was the easiest and workable solution I could provide...

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back