Column full of NAMES, how to return top 5 or 10?

timleg

I have a referral spreadsheet. In this spreadsheet I track our sources of leads. One type of source I track is very specific to peoples names, so we can thank that person. Anyway, I want to see the top five people in that column.

For example.
column A
tim
john
jerry
sally
sue
tim
sue
tim
john
george
sue

etc.

Some of those names appear more than once, as they have referred more leads to us.

So, WITHOUT doing a countif and then coming up with a number and then ranking, how can see who the top five people are? or top 10?

The reason for not doing the countif is because I'm doing that now and there are just so many names, I have to kind of eye ball who I see the most, set up a countif and then see that way. Is there a way to just see what names appear the most in a column?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Id use a pivot table. You would just need a header in there first.

Upvote 0
I've never created a pivot table, how can I use that to display the top 5 or 10 names?

Upvote 0
Put a header in the column of names. Highlight the column. Press Insert tab then PivotTable. Select new worksheet or current worksheet then ok. You should now see the pivot table field list which will have just one field. Hover over that field and drag it to the Rows area. Repeat but drag to the Values area. Now go to the pivot. Right click in one of the numbers created and then sort largest to smallest. Right click now on the names themselves. Hover over filter. In the dialog box you see "Top 10". Click that. Adjust as necessary and thats it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davinroach

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back