Combining two IF Formulas

Lucreziazule

Hello,

I know I'm very close to solving this. It might just be my syntax "again"!

I want to combine the two following IF statements.

The Data: is as follows and positioned beginning with the header ENTRY SCORE in A1.
Column A contains "Entry Scores" (numeric value could be negative, zero or a positive value)
Column B contains "Exit Scores" (numeric value could be negative, zero or a positive value)
Column C contains formula to generate results. It should only read the following "be blank", "OK", or "Research"

The Purpose:

In Column C, I would like for the results of the formal to be displayed. Either "Blank" meaning nothing is populated, "OK", or "Research"
If the Exit Score is greater than Entry Score, return "OK"
If the Exit Score is equal to or less than Entry Score, return "Research"

The Two IF Statements I've been using:

1st: I started out using only statement 2 (See #2 in The Formula) in column C and life was grand....but only for a moment. I quickly realized that when the Entry or the Exit Score cells were blank, the formula was returning the result "Research", because really, Nothing is equal to Nothing if you are comparing the two. Also if the Entry Score was a negative value, the formula was returning the result "OK" because "nothing" is greater than a negative value. This is why I think I need IF statement #1. (See #1 underThe Formulas)

2nd:
The original formula that fulfills "The Purpose" stated above. I think I should keep it, it works....on a basic level. (See #2 under Formulas)

3rd: My attempt, I really think the syntax is wrong. (See #3 under The Formulas)

The Formulas:

1st: IF(B$2="","")
2nd: IF(B3<=A3,"Research","OK")
3rd: IF(AND(b2="","",b2<=A2,"Research","OK"))

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-lou

"May the forces of Evil become confused on the way to your home"

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
1st: IF(B$2="","") - it is useless

2nd: IF(B3<=A3,"Research","OK") - IF B3<=A3 put "Research" otherwise put "OK"

3rd: IF(AND(b2="","",b2<=A2,"Research","OK")) - what do you want to do ?

Upvote 0
Is this what you need?

Excel 2010
ABC
1223OK
1322Research
1432Research
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C12=IF(B12<>"",IF(B12>A12,"OK","Research"),"")

Upvote 0
Hello Patel,

Thank you for responding.

What I didn't mention for the 1st formula is that I use it quite a bit to put my users at ease because they are scared of the #Divo/0! Error, they think "the sky is falling, this doesn’t work!". Perhaps it may be useless in this context, but not when it reduces panic, either way I appreciate your candor. It has prompted me to look for an alternative solution. Thanks.

I was trying to combine the 1st and the 2nd formula in to one. I believe it has been answered below.

I appreciate your trying to help!

-lou

Upvote 0
YES! This has worked! It looks like one IF Statement is inserted into the other. I'll have to keep this logic in mind.

I also see two new things: you eliminated the "equal to" by using great than and the "<>" instead of "" for blanks.

Thank you for assisting me in solving my problem. Not only have I completed my spreadsheet, but I have learned 3 new things today!

- lou

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back