Compare 2 columns and highlight 3rd column

ilasubbu

Hi,

I have the requirement of comparing 2 columns and highlighting 3rd column with the appropriate colour. I am using MS Excel 2003 version

E.g
Data set
A1 - '01-Nov-2009'
B1 - '10-Nov-2009'

Action required
Compare A1 & B1. If A1 is less than B1, set "Green colour" background in C1 column.

Should be easy with conditional formatting. But I have to do it for various rows in a single sheet and repeat this with multiple sheets. So, am thinking it's ideal way to write a macro to perform this operation row by row in all sheets. If it's feasible, I can assign that macro to a simple button and make the work easier instead of setting conditional formatting in all the sheets.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
See if this works for you:

Code:
    Range("C:C").Select
    Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=R[0]C[-2]<R[0]C[-1]"
    Selection.FormatConditions(Selection.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
    With Selection.FormatConditions(1).Interior
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .Color = 5287936
        .TintAndShade = 0
    End With
    Selection.FormatConditions(1).StopIfTrue = False
    Range("C1").Select

Upvote 0
Let's try this again..

Code:
    Range("C:C").Select
    Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=R[0]C[-2] < R[0]C[-1]"
    Selection.FormatConditions(Selection.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
    With Selection.FormatConditions(1).Interior
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .Color = 5287936
        .TintAndShade = 0
    End With
    Selection.FormatConditions(1).StopIfTrue = False
    Range("C1").Select

Upvote 0
OK, so if you do not want to use Conditional Formatting, you could try this on a copy of your workbook.

Assumptions I've used:

1. This action is to be performed on all sheets in the workbook.

2. Data actually starts in row 2 of each sheet (assuming headings in row 1)

3. Column A can be used to determine the bottom of the data range.

4. No checking is required to see if both cells in column A and B contain data.

If any of the assumptions are wrong or the code doesn't do what you want and you need more help to modify it, post back with more details.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> ColourCells()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ws <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> ws <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ThisWorkbook.Worksheets<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ws<br>            .Columns("A").Insert<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> .Range("A2:A" & .Range("B" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)<br>                .FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[1]< RC[2],1,"""")"<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>                .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, xlNumbers) _<br>                    .Offset(, 3).Interior.ColorIndex = 4<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            .Columns("A").Delete<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> ws<br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Sorry for my late response.

It worked well and saved my loads of efforts everyday.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
IK.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back