compare two different worksheets using dictionary

reggieneo

Hi All, my head is spinning now on this and I can't figure out how to accurately compare 2 sheets of 2 columns. What I would like to do is, IF ID and WO# in Sheet1 is not found in Sheet2 then the entire row (has 52 columns) that has the new sets of ID and WO# be copied to the next blank row in Sheet2. it needs to resize up to the column AZ . in the table below, the result should be row 5, entire row up to column AZ in Sheet1 must be also in Sheet2. Appreciate if this can be done in Vba. Thanks so much . Sheet1
ID
Name
S/N
WO#
Description
Harry
Repair
Leo
Delivery
Bert
Paint
Bert
Admin Works

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2
ID
Name
S/N
WO#
Description
Harry
Repair
Leo
Delivery
Bert
Paint

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hi Peter, the code copied the item (entire rows) that is already present in my Sheet2. And strange that when I F8 through it a dialog box "Update Values: Sheet2" prompted me to open. I click cancel and the rows copied the ones that is already in sheet2. Please Allow me to clarify more: the sheet2 should constantly be receiving new data from sheet1. and it should not copy any more data that is already present .

Code:
  Dim ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet
  Dim nr As Long

Set ws1 = Workbooks("MDB.xlsx").Sheets("MDB"): Set ws2 = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("DWS1")
  nr = ws2.Range("B" & ws2.rows.Count).End(xlUp).row + 1
  With ws1
    .Range("BZ7").Formula = Replace(Replace("=COUNTIFS('#'!B$7:B$%,B8,'#'!E$7:E$%,E8)=0", "#", ws2.Name), "%", nr - 1)
    .Range("B7", .Range("B" & .rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Resize(, 52).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CriteriaRange:=.Range("BZ7:BZ8"), CopyToRange:=ws2.Cells(nr, 2), Unique:=False
    .Range("BZ7").ClearContents
  End With
  ws2.rows(nr).Delete

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
There are a few issues at work here.

the sheet2 should constantly be receiving new data from sheet1.
1. Do you mean dynamically? That is if new data appears in Sheet1 it automatically appears in sheet2 without having to, say, run a macro like this? Or are you happy to just have new data transferred when the macro is run?

2. There was no mention previously that the two sheets were in different workbooks. That is why you were prompted to open something but in any case my code so far was written to work on two sheets in the same workbook, not different workbooks. That will cause my code to fail as it is currently written.

3. Even if the above point was not a problem, you didn't adapt the CriteriaRange from my code correctly. The formula should be in the lower cell of the 2-cell criteria range, not the upper cell as you have it written. So with the formula in BZ7 the CriteriaRange should have been BZ6:BZ7.

4. In ws1, what row are the headings in?

5. In ws2, what row are the headings in?

6. I'm still interested in this:
(Interested to know about how many rows of data you do have as the best/fastest method may be different)

Having said all that, if we are dealing with 2 different workbooks, my approach will probably be more cumbersome & prone to difficulties that the sorts of methods others have suggested in the thread. Did you try any of those?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Peter, thanks for time in replying this. I have sorted the issue by copying the sheet 1 and sheet 2 together in another sheet then remove duplicates, all in macro. it is also a bit cumbersome but I think I could live with this since its all automated anyway. always appreciate the effort and help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iaincmac

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back