Complete Missing Data

darrenscrawford

Hey Hey... Could use some help on this one.

I've got some web analytics data that is flawed. There are basically three columns

IP ADDRESS | CAMPAIGN NAME | USER NAME

20120118-jcicw88h88yw8i13n8b3pk3jn.png

As you can see from the sample: In Row 2, IP Address 1.2.3.4 came to the site from the Super Ad campaign but did not buy anything (no username).

They came back later in Row 3 (directly or from a non-campaign source like Google) and purchased which tags that IP address with the username.

The data for the month has more than 36,000 rows - one for each session. This represents about 27,000 unique IP addresses that visited.

How can I get this data to "fill in the blanks" so that I can match up users that purchased that have come from a campaign but did not purchase on the first session?

In other words, how do I complete the sheet to look more like this? Keep in mind that IP address 1.2.3.4 might have a handful of rows with only one of them showing the campaign they came in from.

20120118-pmui4grgqjyt8ca261duu86jxu.png

I suspect using multiple columns to build out and then summarize?

Thanks in advance.
-Darren

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Do you ever have situations where you have the same IP address in column A but differing values in column B? If not, the easiest non-VBA method I can think of (because I don't want to work out the code right now) would be:

1) Sort your three columns, by column A

2) Use an advanced filter to filter for unique values in column A and copy these unique values into a new column (say D)

3) In E, enter the formula =VLOOKUP(D2,A:C,2,0) and drag down next to the last row in column D

4) In F, enter the formula = VLOOKUP(D2,A:C,3,0) and drag down next to the last row in column D

5) Copy and paste values of columns E and F (to remove the formula)

6) Delete all values in column B and then in B2 enter formula =VLOOKUP(A2,D:F,2,0) and down down to the cell next to the last row in column A

7) Delete all values in column C and in C2 enter formula =VLOOKUP(A2,D:F,3,0) and down down to the cell next to the last row in column A

8) Copy and paste values over columns B and C to remove formula

Upvote 0
Thanks I will give that a try. Advanced filter before crashed Excel so I might have to do a reboot and free up some RAM. It doesn't like 36,000 rows for that.

I have not seen an IP ADDRESS with more than 1 campaign source, but that is entirely possible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back