Date Performed
Employee #
Last Name
First Name
Temp Y/N
Dept #
Dept Name
Position

I would like to eventually convert this spreadsheet to a table, but for now it is just a simple spreadsheet. It will eventually be the only record of these ongoing updates. It does have a header row that I will hide when coding my Active X Combo Box for infinite rows.

I would like to create a drop down menu of Employee #'s and have it automatically suggest names that meet all of your typed criteria as you are typing them.

For example:

1 = Anderson
11 = Andrews
111 = Atkins
1111 = Boland

As I am typing 1111, it is automatically bringing up all employees whose Employee # begins with
the number 1 until there is only one match for the completely typed # 1111, that being Boland.

Then once the # is selected, I would like the rest of the cells to auto fill from the table I created in spreadsheet # 2 of the same Workbook.

This table already has a table range created that does not include the header row.

If I am correct, the table should also automatically update the drop down menu whenever the table is updated.

One last issue I also will need this auto fill to address. If the person opts to change the "Employee #" they have selected, then I will need the other data to also automatically update based on the change to the first column selection (Employee #).

For example:

If I select Employee # 1; it then auto populates the following:

Emp # LN FN Temp D# DN Position
1 Anderson Kevin N 1 Sales Sales Rep

Oops, suddenly I realize I meant to hit # 2, not # 1; so I go back and change the #1 to #2,
everything else must also change to match that of employee # 2's data.

I know that by using a table in Excel rather than a simple spreadsheet creates an automatic Dynamic Name Range vs. a simple Name Range. Thus, meaning I should have a fewer steps to take to accomplish my end results since this should make the table auto update to any changes made to it (if I'm correctly understanding how it works).

I really like the idea of using an Active X Combo Box; but I'm not sure how this would be accomplished with multiple columns of information being returned and also how to make it auto update as needed as well.

Do I need to make my spreadsheet that will be recording all of this inputted data into a table before coding the columns with the Active X Combo Box?

I am interested in avoiding having to use VBA Coding if at all possible. I would like accomplish this with minimal steps and complexities.

Please let me know how best to accomplish my end results.

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance you are able to provide regarding this matter.

Shelley

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Please edit for formatting, it's impossible to read this.

Hi Red Beard,

Believe me, this is not how I typed this out.

This is how this website formatted my question.

I would love to change it, but I didn't alter it in the first place to look like this.

I will try to adjust it now.

Shelley

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have created a spreadsheet in excel. It will contain the following columns:

Date Performed
Employee #
Last Name
First Name
Temp Y/N
Dept #
Dept Name
Position

I would like to eventually convert this spreadsheet to a table, but for now it is just a simple spreadsheet. It will eventually be the only record of these ongoing updates. It does have a header row that I will hide when coding my Active X Combo Box for infinite rows.

I would like to create a drop down menu of Employee #'s and have it automatically suggest names that meet all of your typed criteria as you are typing them.

For example:

1 = Anderson
11 = Andrews
111 = Atkins
1111 = Boland

As I am typing 1111, it is automatically bringing up all employees whose Employee # begins with
the number 1 until there is only one match for the completely typed # 1111, that being Boland.

Then once the # is selected, I would like the rest of the cells to auto fill from the table I created in spreadsheet # 2 of the same Workbook.

This table already has a table range created that does not include the header row.

If I am correct, the table should also automatically update the drop down menu whenever the table is updated because it's a table and not just a spreadsheet.

In addition, I will need the first column (Employee #) to show the Employee #, the Last Name and the First Name in the drop down menu to insure that the correct person is being selected.

One last issue I will also need this auto fill to address. If the person opts to change the "Employee #" they have selected, then I will need the other data to also automatically update based on the change to the first column selection (Employee #).

For example:

If I select Employee # 1; it then auto populates the following:

Emp # LN FN Temp D# DN Position
1 Anderson Kevin N 1 Sales Sales Rep

Oops, suddenly I realize I meant to hit # 2, not # 1; so I go back and change the #1 to #2,
everything else must also change to match that of employee # 2's data.

I know that by using a table in Excel rather than a simple spreadsheet, this creates an automatic Dynamic Name Range vs. a simple Name Range. Thus, meaning I should have fewer steps to take to accomplish my end results since this should make the table auto update to any changes made to it (if I'm correctly understanding how it works).

I really like the idea of using an Active X Combo Box; but I'm not sure how this would be accomplished with multiple columns of information being viewed in the Employee # column and multiple columns of information being returned as well. Not to mention, it also how needs to auto update as needed too.

Do I need to make my spreadsheet that will be recording all of this inputted data into a table before coding the columns with the Active X Combo Box? If so, how do I avoid having it include the header row? I currently hide the header row when doing any coding.

I am interested in avoiding having to use VBA Coding if at all possible. I would like to accomplish this with minimal steps and complexities.

Please let me know how best to accomplish my end results.

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance you are able to provide regarding this matter.

Shelley

Upvote 0
Infinitely more readable!

However, this looks very much like the job for a proper database and not Excel.

If you have Access you can accomplish quite a lot of the above using out of the box tools.

Upvote 0
Infinitely more readable!

However, this looks very much like the job for a proper database and not Excel.

If you have Access you can accomplish quite a lot of the above using out of the box tools.

Hi Red Beard,

I agree and I did try that. However, it was much more challenging than it seemed like it would be. Therefore, my boss decided to go back to Excel. So, here I am.

Shelley

Upvote 0
That's really trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to be honest. You'll need to do so much more work in Excel to get it were you want it to be.

As the complexity of this is something that would be something that would take far too much time I'm going to bow out and I wish you the best of luck.

Upvote 0
That's really trying to fit a square peg in a round hole to be honest. You'll need to do so much more work in Excel to get it were you want it to be.

As the complexity of this is something that would be something that would take far too much time I'm going to bow out and I wish you the best of luck.

Hi Red Beard,

I completely understand, I think I'm going to bow out too! LOL

Shelley

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardey6ix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back