Concatenate cells (non-adjacent) asking for separator

mrwul62

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I would like to be able to select different cells, like A4, B2, C1, E5 and have them concatenated in 1 cells
whereby I am asked for separator to be used, like space, or comma, or semi-colon separated

So, instead of manually adding " " each time in =CONCATENATE(A4, " ", B2, " ", C1, " ", E1) , it would be nice if it would be asked what separator to use and then the concetenation to be performed.

Vainly searched for an add-in doing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Upvote 0
Many thanks to you both!

Up front: I am using the Dutch Excel 2016 version, latest one I believe: Update could not find any updates.
Jointext seems to be translated to TEKST.COMBINEREN (whereby 'Tekst'=Text and 'Combineren' = combine/join).

Microsoft explains this on https://goo.gl/79h7Hj
Whereby in the example given the formula reads textjoin though... (instead of tekst.combineren)

I found some other examples about 'tekst.combineren' on Internet, but I could not get it working.

Later..
On https://goo.gl/XhVcKf
(somewhere in the middle) I was given to believe that this function could be called on using 'functions'

I then checked the available functions, but it wasn't there.
Probably it is because of that, that I could not get it working.

Maybe one day in the near future it will be added to the Dutch Excel 2016 version...
(or maybe it is only available for the 365 version?)

Thanks again.
=

Upvote 0
mrwul62,

I am very sorry to hear the function seems not available for you. I am using Office 365 / English so it might indeed only be available in 365 so far - hopefully it'll come to your Excel via update soon.

The link Fluff shared to the user defined function code should be working for you in the meantime if you're ok to use VBA.

All the best,
Bernd

Upvote 0
Can you use something like this? However, in order for my formula to work, you need to do 1 more step. You need place your values together in a range vertically down a column. Evidently this formula does not work when use a range across a row. Assume your range is A1:A4. The formula is =concatenate(transpose(A1:A4&" ,")). Before you hit enter, you need to highlight the transpose(......) part of your formula with your mouse. Hit F9. Remove both { and }. Then you can hit enter.

a
b
c
da,b,c,d,

<colgroup><col width="64" span="2" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back