Condition formatting for tolerancing

HighSpeed

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have found a lot of info about using conditional formatting to indicate tolerances but not quite what I'm looking for. I don't know if this is even possible.

I am modifying a dimensional checking sheet to show if a measured dimension is out of tolerance, IF there is a tolerance for that particular dimension. We do get drawings both in imperial and metric but we only use metric equipment, so I also have the converted dim next to the drawing dim. See attached pic.

I have a column (B8:B38) which has the nominal dimension shown. Next to that, I have another column which will be a tolerance if a tolerance is required for that particular nominal dim, which I will enter as a positive value to keep it simple. I have conditional formatting working fine when there is a tolerance by having 2 rules - if value is less than nominal, then colour text red, and if value is more than nominal plus tolerance, then colour text red. This is where it goes wrong... if there is no tolerance, I don't want to colour the text. If I have no number in the tolerance cell and the measured value is less than the nominal value, it is colouring the text. It will not colour the text if the measured value is above the nominal dim.

I'm thinking something along the lines of "if tolerance cell has a number, then use conditional formatting, otherwise do not use conditional formatting". I just don't know how to go about that, or if it is even possible to do with conditional formatting. Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 40
I'm trying to do something very similar. I need a spreadsheet that will show Mean/Target, +/- tolerance but then have the results show Red if out of tolerance. Either text red or cell red. For more than 1 result. Do not need the result "OK" or "NG". Just trying some formulas on that column.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301_110559.png
    Screenshot_20230301_110559.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
i would suggest you start a thread of your own, you will get more answer .... as this has been marked solved now

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back